Ingmar Bergman and Bach

Discussion in 'Classical Music' started by Rodrigo de Sá, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Rodrigo de Sá

Rodrigo de Sá This club's crushing bore

I watched Through a Mirror Dark yesterday. It is one of my true favorites. As often, Bergman uses Bach. The 'cello Sarabande in c minor, or only bits of it.

I think I understand why he so often used Bach (a certain kind of introvert, lyric/tragic Bach). But what do you think or know about this?

Rodrigo de Sá, Mar 24, 2006
  2. Rodrigo de Sá

pe-zulu

I have seen "SÃ¥som i en spegel" twice many years ago. I think it is about elementary existential problems and a yearning for deep contact with other human beings. I think Bergman's choice of the Sarabande reflects the rather sad mood of this film, and often he uses Bach like this in a more universal way to stress the emotional content of the film. But sometimes his choice of Bach might reflect just a personal preference. Personally I don't like great composers music used in this way, since I don't like to get film-related associations when listening to music (e.g. Elvira Madigan Concerto).

pe-zulu, Mar 24, 2006
Ask a Question