Integrated or pre/power amp advice please.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by rodrat, Sep 26, 2006.

1. rodrat

rodrat

I am after an integrated/pre/power amp for under £300 that will drive difficult loads such as Maggie SMGA's but can also pump out decent clout into PMC Lb1's which are not very efficient. Phono stage would be nice but not essential.

candidates please.

Rod

rodrat, Sep 26, 2006
  2. rodrat

nando nando

sorry for asking, are you having a laugh? £300.00 or under yeah right for all is worth try"not being funny" richer sounds they do have good pre-pwr coms, i.e. cambridge audio, not bad at the price...it's a start,regards nando.

nando, Sep 28, 2006
  3. rodrat

julian2002 Muper Soderator

look at 2nd hand 80 / 90's monsters from marantz, sony, nad and rotel or you might be lucky and find a chinese amp with the clout you want - but you'll get reamed by customs unless you are super lucky.
    there wasa very powerful nad from a few years ago which migh fit the bill and be in your price range now.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nad-C370-Inte...oryZ3280QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or you could look at pro audio - not particularly subtle but you're looking at monster power for bog all dosh...
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2200-W-DIGITA...7QQihZ017QQcategoryZ14973QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

julian2002, Sep 28, 2006
  4. rodrat

rodrat

No I'm not having a laugh. Its a simple question. If the answers no, there's nothing to fit the bill, fair enough. However, there are a number of people on pfm who have suggested suitable amps. This is not a search for the best amp in the world for £300. Its only for something that will do the job and sound reasonable whilst I am playing about with tubes, planars and electrostatics.

Rod

rodrat, Sep 28, 2006
    YorkshireRHT likes this.
  5. rodrat

Effem Cable manufacturer

Keep an eye out for a Sumo pre and power amp. Real muscle and the Athena pre has a phono stage too.

Hafler too would fit the bill nicely.

They do come up on ebay now and again as well as hififorsale.com

Effem, Sep 28, 2006
Ask a Question