interconnects and speaker cables

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by cab586, Mar 20, 2005.

1. cab586

cab586

looking to get a new set of interconnects/speaker cables. considering wires from acoustic zen, audience and shunyata.

particularly interested in learning more about their 'house' sound (if they have one) and whether they sit on the hi-fi/analytical or the musical/fun end of the spectrum (or straddle both).

i realise cables need to be tested at home/in my system (wadia, bel canto; speakers tbd) etc and that this is a rather broad question but any topline views/observations/tips would be much appreciated.

cab586, Mar 20, 2005
  2. cab586

Mr.C

Mr.C, Mar 20, 2005
  3. cab586

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

if you dont get the reply you want, you might want to double your post on hifiplus.org, where a certain resident chap knows a lot about cables called tony.

bottleneck, Mar 20, 2005
  4. cab586

Ya-Boo

I,m using/used the following with the Belcanto I own in this order below
    each to there own I know, But I find the wireworld's presentation ideal for me

Transparent musicwave/link

A/Z silver ref I/C & holgram 2

Wire world gold Eclipse

pm me if your near S. E Kent I could maybe lend you a set

Ya-Boo, Mar 20, 2005
  5. cab586

PeteH Natural Blue

Send a PM to Omiga Audio's Tony (wadia-miester on here) - he'll sort you out, but doesn't like to use the public forum as an advertising board for his own products.

PeteH, Mar 20, 2005
  6. cab586

tones compulsive cantater

I've never heard of cables called Tony. Are they new? :D

tones, Mar 20, 2005
  7. cab586

ditton happy old soul

they're a bargain, Russ Andrews sell the very same at twice the price under the name of Anthony ...

ditton, Mar 20, 2005
  8. cab586

ErikfH

These are the first cables that will favourably affect the result in your system. :)

ErikfH, Mar 20, 2005
  9. cab586

bemcsa

They have plenty of body, but with a slightly coloured sound (west country if I'm not mistaken)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2005
    bemcsa, Mar 20, 2005
  10. cab586

[​IMG]

tones, Mar 20, 2005
  11. cab586

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Wow. Does that make Scotland yard london's 3rd busiest airport?

I-S, Mar 20, 2005
  12. cab586

cab586

all much appreciated. alas WM is already advising me behind the scenes and has been since i visited his abode. tbh, he's been v. patient and forthcoming with what to do/what not to do. a true gent!

so, am i hearing omiga cables are...mmm...the answer? (subject to the usual caveats).

cab586, Mar 20, 2005
  13. cab586

PeteH Natural Blue

I can't really comment from personal experience as (1) my position on cables is much the same as that of tones, and (2) I've never heard Omiga's offerings nor indeed any of the alternatives you seem to be looking at. There's a causal relationship between those two, you can decide which way round suits you best :)

However there are a lot of positive reports concerning Omiga's stuff on here, but you won't hear any from Tony himself because he's much too sensitive to concerns about self-publicity.

PeteH, Mar 20, 2005
  14. cab586

Fourth, just behing Omiga.

tones, Mar 20, 2005
  15. cab586

zanash

just because Tones can't hear a difference with his kit , it doesn't mean that others can't either. Any cable will effect the final sound.... as they act as filters what you need to do is filter the least from the sound.

zanash, Mar 21, 2005
  16. cab586

True.

Demonstrably false for many people, myself included

I personally don't believe this. It is often quoted as fact, but never backed up with evidence. In any case, have you ever looked inside your equipment, and seen the skinny runts of wires in use there? You think these are superconductors or something?

And since I'm already in trouble elsewhere for scepticism, I shall withdraw gracefully/ungracefully/disgracefully from this thread. To those who hear a difference, carry on - you have the eternal gratitude of the cable manufacturers.

tones, Mar 21, 2005
  17. cab586

Dick Bowman

That's often seemed to me to be the weakness of the "cable fans" arguments - while we can control what goes on between the boxes we buy we have no say in what happens inside them. To be sure we can connect the boxes with "bad wire" and hear the effects (which we may or may not like), but if Manufacturer X decides that the internals should be wired up with wet string surely there must be diminished returns from expensive external cables? And quite where "make sure your cable loom is all from the same cable manufacturer" fits in I have no idea.

I tend to side with the people who advise making sure your cables are at least as long as the distance between the items they connect...

Dick Bowman, Mar 21, 2005
  18. cab586

ditton happy old soul

not a wireless man then ...

ditton, Mar 21, 2005
  19. cab586

cab586

17 replies, 3 (just) answers to my question. anyone care to make it 4 or even 5. i'd feel much better. :)

cab586, Mar 21, 2005
  20. cab586

Tenson Moderator

If you are friends with WM already then why not give his cables a go? I'm sure they are perfectly good.

Personally I would get some decent cable from Maplin or RS components along with some good quality connectors and do them myself. I feel commercial cables seem a bit of a rip off.

The pure silver (6 core I believe) 'Shark' cable from Maplin is bloody good stuff to make speaker cable from if you can afford it. One run of cable per terminal should be very, very good (i.e. 6 cores for each terminal). If that's too pricy then I suspect one run using half the cores per terminal would do alright - each core is separately insulated. They also sell pure silver core, silver-plated shielded cable for RCA cables. I don't see how you can get much better than 99.99(9?)% pure silver as far as cable goes! Many people think silver is bright and harsh but in my experience that is only silver plated copper, pure silver is perfectly neutral.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2005
    Tenson, Mar 22, 2005
Ask a Question