Interconnects from microphone cables

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by bifcake, Sep 23, 2003.

1. bifcake

bifcake

I've read quite a few articles on the benefits of making one's own interconnects from microphone cables. The general idea makes sense to me, but I was wondering if anyone here has actually tried making their own interconnects and if they compared their DIY versions to the commercially available ones. Your thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated.

bifcake, Sep 23, 2003
  2. bifcake

penance Arrogant Cock

penance, Sep 23, 2003
  3. bifcake

bifcake

Have you had a chance to compare your cable from a kit to a commercially available cable? What were the results?

Thanks

bifcake, Sep 23, 2003
  4. bifcake

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

All of our line level cables at work are made from mic cable,as are some of my own i/c's, to my ears theres no diffrence between them and the few commercial cables ive used

themadhippy, Sep 23, 2003
  5. bifcake

penance Arrogant Cock

yup i compared, i had an Atlas explorer previously (£89)
    to my ears the DIY cable was much better, more open and detailed

penance, Sep 23, 2003
  6. bifcake

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Are you guys talking mike patch leads like Van damme/sommer/both star quad and single pairs/twisted and the like. I thought you guys would sets you sights a little higher.:)
    Try the apogee wide eye cable, it works quite well, and with do balanced and single ended, digital and analogue cheap too stateside about $36@m, we bought a reel pretty cheap, easily took apart all the microphone cables we tested (0ver 15 variants), but it's a good better than basic cable, and gives nice results. WM

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2003
    wadia-miester, Sep 23, 2003
  7. bifcake

how much:eek: i'd want a 100 meter drum for that price

8. bifcake

bifcake

WM, are you saying that a $36 cable is better than DIY microphone cable? What about more expensive offerings like those you see for $200, $500 and $1000 per meter/pair?

bifcake, Sep 23, 2003
  9. bifcake

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Well Bifcake, I could tell what works with what, but I've spent a lot of research,not to mention time and effort, and I sort of be defeating myself really, seeing as WE make cables :) Sorry and all, besides even some of the top cables arn't as good as you'd imagine.
    Les, mike cables what about 45p@ a meter, aint found one that does music any good yet, the apogee is actualy not bad for the dosh, I mean with connectors about £45 thats not bad, really for the public mate, And I'd use it in the bedroom system too if I didn't have any DCT 300 kicking about, it's not bad at all guys, worth a whirl for sure. WM

wadia-miester, Sep 23, 2003
  10. bifcake

even 45p/meters over the top:D ,last drum of mic cable i bought was some rather nice klotz 2 core double screened, £27 for 100m drum.it was in a clearance auction though:D

11. bifcake

zanash

Wm.........your right .

There are many much better cables about . You can even make your own from basic parts.

Penance has built my IC , I've made well too many to count and even the "zerocost" types
    will outperform MIC cable.

A simple twisted pair of silver plated copper with ptfe insulation will out do 90%
    of the mic cables I've used in the past.

But remember that certain cables will suit some systems bettr than others......thats why
    I always ask what the partnering gear is.

I'd be glad to give some cable recipes just pm me...........and these are not ones I'm making !

Also the cable will sound different depending on the plug type used.....
    I'd always us the bullets now after hearing them, [ or not as the case may be].

zanash, Sep 24, 2003
Ask a Question