ipod nano

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by rockhopper, Oct 26, 2005.

1. rockhopper

rockhopper

can anyone please tell me the cheapest place to buy and ipod nano, either online or in shops? According to the apple website, if I buy from them direct it will be $199 (£112 ish), which seems to be a good deal, but are there any hidden charges i.e. tax or vat??

Any help appreciated.

rockhopper, Oct 26, 2005
  2. rockhopper

michaelab desafinado

First of all I don't think you can order from the US Apple store online if you live in the UK. There's the UK Apple store for that. Of course the prices are higher (£139 for the cheapest Nano).

Even if you could order from the US store you'd be charged import duty (around 4%) and then VAT at 17.5%. The VAT gets applied to the postage charges too. Once you take that into account then the price is pretty much the same as the UK store.

You are unlikely to find any discounts on iPods either on the high street or online. If you do they will be tiny.

Michael.

michaelab, Oct 26, 2005
  3. rockhopper

rockhopper

thanks, yeah I think your right, I doubt i'll get discount.

Seem a nice piece of kit for that price - are there any other MP3 players you think would be better for the price?

rockhopper, Oct 26, 2005
  4. rockhopper

michaelab desafinado

If 2-4Gb is all you need then get a Nano. If you need more get a "big" iPod. IMO iPods wipe the floor with the competition at any price.

Michael.

michaelab, Oct 26, 2005
  5. rockhopper

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

The nano is probably the keenest price for what it is bare a few things in mind though:

1. Although it shows photos there is no output capabilities in other words you can only look at pictures on the screen.

2. There has been complaints that the nano scratches. Apple insist its exactly the same plastic as used on all the other iPods. I think the issues comes with the black ones which will obviously show scratches more easily.

3. There was a batch that had the screens crack, these have been worked out the system now, but for total confidence order from the apple store, it will be a brand new one.

4. You need USB2 on your computer, it will work with USB1 but you will find it terribly slow.

5. People well tell you here an elsewhere that apple is a bunch of shite, you just fell into the marketing trap etc etc etc, ignore them, the iPod is a fantastic piece of design backed up with the best piece of software available for organising music.

6. There is no other player on the market that even comes close to the Nano.

garyi, Oct 26, 2005
  6. rockhopper

rockhopper

thanks for that useful info. Yeah a friend told me about the screen issue, but luckily he has some spare screen protectors, so I should be ok there.

One more thing, how can I check whether my USB sockets are USB1 or USB2? Thanks again

rockhopper, Oct 26, 2005
  7. rockhopper

rockhopper

Sorry, im back again already, could you please advise anywhere to download quality MP3s? There are so many sites I dont know where to start. Thanks!

rockhopper, Oct 26, 2005
  8. rockhopper

robert_cyrus

1. get an egg money card
    2. receive 1% cashback on your purchase(s)
    3. get additional 10% cashback when u follow the egg special link to the apple online store, and pay with your egg money card.

[​IMG]

i.e. 4 gig nano for £159.31, not £179
    i.e. 2 gig nano for £123.71, not £139

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2005
    robert_cyrus, Oct 26, 2005
  9. rockhopper

As for quality MP3s, well legally that would come from the apple iTunes music store, very easy to use.

Or you could always be illegal and download a torrent client then look here:

torrentspy.com

I am not saying you should do this, and if you are on a PC I have no doubt you will receive a fair amount more than MP3 files, you have been warned.

garyi, Oct 26, 2005
  10. rockhopper

You don't need the nano to start looking at the apple itunes store, download iTunes, install it then load it up, on the left is Music Store click this and start searching. If you choose to purchase then you will be prompted for your details which are then saved, again be warned, it could get expensive haha.

garyi, Oct 26, 2005
  11. rockhopper

MO! MOnkey`ead!

From your own cd/record collection?

Also, I just noticed an advert for www.virgindigital.com

Individual tracks from 79p. Or from £9.99 a MOnth, you can listen to anything you want, and as much as you want.

There's a few other things mentioned, regarding downloading their free player. Free advice/assistance, internet radio, samples, music manager, rip and burn software, and weekly music newsflash.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2005
    MO!, Oct 26, 2005
  12. rockhopper

angi73

Sony HD5- Player is great, solid and excellent size with good battery life. Beats an ipod in my opinion.

Softare is OK. ish

angi73, Oct 26, 2005
  13. rockhopper

Sony = too many buttons which means it misses the point. elegant it ain't.

Might suit a pc user though.

garyi, Oct 26, 2005
  14. rockhopper

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Yes there is. A Creative Zen Touch with a 20 Gb capacity is pretty much the same price. Thats 10x larger than the Nano, and the sound quality is probably just as good.

Also, Apples own shuffle, 1 Gb is almost half the price, has just as good sound, it just lacks a screen.

PBirkett, Oct 26, 2005
  15. rockhopper

Anex Thermionic

Atrac sounds nice though. I miss my mini disc player which was run over. The iriver h10 players are also good now they've upgraded the firmware but don't cover as many formats as ipod and it'll cost you more than the nano but it holds more (5-6 gb) and has a radio if that interests you at all (also has a useful radio record function so you can record late shows etc.).

Anex, Oct 26, 2005
  16. rockhopper

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

EEEK! Tell us how it happened :)

I've got one of those REALLY small Panasonic SR225 (iirc) MD decks, and I've barely used it. It probably has maybe 30 hours' use on it - a real waste of £120! The reason it got such low use is I bought a new discman and had the CDR on the PC :)

Now everyone knows my slating of Apple stuff (and MP3), but my discman is getting in the way, so I'm seriously considering getting either the Nano 4 gb or a Creative Zen. I'd want the Nano in black - not ***** white, so it had better not scratch that easily...

domfjbrown, Oct 27, 2005
  17. rockhopper

Anex Thermionic

I lent it to someone for a weekend and it never came back the same. I was actually amazed at how much of it they'd managed to break in 2 days

Anex, Oct 27, 2005
  18. rockhopper

PBirkett VTEC Addict

I'm amazed you think this, you obviously dont know the competition very well ;)

iAudio make proper audiophile players, the sound quality of those is better than the ipod. So is the iRiver.

Also, never heard of the infamous ipod bass issue? Serious bass roll off that does not affect any other of the competition. Luckily, they've since sorted it, but ever wonder why the EX71's were such a good match?!

PBirkett, Oct 27, 2005
Ask a Question