iPods & bit rates

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by nsherin, Feb 10, 2005.

1. nsherin

nsherin In stereo nirvana...

Hi,

Have just bought an iPod Mini. Obviously the next task is to start ripping all 600 of my CDs onto my PC's hard drive. Obviously I only have a limited amout of storage (about 80GB) total on the drive. I also want to get the right balance of compatabilty, storage usage (on both PC and iPod) and sound quality. So, I was definately thinking of going the MP3 route, but the next question is bit rate - what should I go for? I also will use the PC as a hifi source, running via a TosLink connection into my Yamaha AV receiver.

Any help much appreciated - I'd like to get it right first time round, as 600 CDs is a lot to rip.

Thanks,
    Neil

nsherin, Feb 10, 2005
  2. nsherin

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

nsherin, unless you intend using the mini as a hifi source I would suggest you go with apples recommended AAC at 128, if you do not you will severely curtail the amount of tunes the mini will hold.

garyi, Feb 10, 2005
  3. nsherin

Thanks Gary - will give that a go with a test album and see how I get on.

nsherin, Feb 10, 2005
  4. nsherin

Some more playing about tonight with the iPod Mini and it's sounding pretty good at 128kbps using AAC encoding. Very pleased with this - of all the 4 MP3 players I've owned, this is definately the best for usability, sound quality and design!

It also sounds pretty enjoyable through my Yamaha amp as well.

nsherin, Feb 11, 2005
  5. nsherin

oedipus

Before your really start doing this, consider that you might, sometime in the future, want to go down the Squeezebox/Roku path like Tom Alves, Julian and myself (and others??) have. If you might then buy a 300GB drive (I bought a two 400Gb for $250 each) and rip to FLAC AND mp3, that way you won't have to rip your collection twice. And believe me the biggest pain is loading/unloading the CD's - I did it the easy way, using a 200 disc autochanger, and it was still a pain in the arse...

Also, if you have the FLAC's, and sometime in the future want to swap to AAC (or mpg) or some new future format, you'll have the lossless files to feed into the new encoder.

I know $250 is a lot for a harddrive you don't think you need, but if you change your mind about encoding format later, you'll kick yourself if you have to rip the lot again...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2005
    oedipus, Feb 11, 2005
  6. nsherin

julian2002 Muper Soderator

i'd agree with oedipus. ripping to some lossless format means you can transcode your data to whatever other format you want at a later date. i have all my cd's as flac files but i bought an mp3 player a few months ago and use foobar to transcode the music i want to listen to to mp3 at whatever bit rate i choose.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Feb 11, 2005
  7. nsherin

Stuart

Well, I'll third the bigger HD/lossless compression suggestion. I'm currently waiting on a 300GB HD so I can continue ripping. I'd really hate to have to do it all again for a different format.

Stuart, Feb 12, 2005
  8. nsherin

Thanks, guys for the advice. I'm sticking with 128kpds using AAC encoding for now, as I have no plans to replace my NAD CD player, so the ripping/encoding process is predominately for iPod use.

nsherin, Feb 13, 2005
Ask a Question