is a three phase power supply better or worse for SQ?

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by gavman, Sep 26, 2007.

1. gavman

gavman

i'm installing a ground source heat pump, and they like three-phase, but don't require it

it would add money to my build, but could it improve the sound quality of my hifi system?

it's pretty much been decided not to bother, unless you guys advise me it will bring improvements?

many thanks

gavman, Sep 26, 2007
  2. gavman

penance Arrogant Cock

As a hifi will only require 1 phase and neutral i dont see any point.
    Possibly one phase may be cleaner, but i doubt it.

Have you seen the cost of getting three phase installation to a domestic property?

penance, Sep 26, 2007
  3. gavman

Deaf Cat

As far as I know, the cables in the road are three phase, red, yellow blue.. not sure on the colours though. So your neighbour on your left would have the red, you would have the yellow and the other neighbour would have the blue.

So you could, I guess, have a dedicated phase, in from the road for your hifi gear, now that should be better than a direct spur from the consumer unit:D

Have been doing some work in a place which used to have one elec meter and now it has 7, I think the somewhat disorganised EDF crowd have charged somewhere near 2k to run a cable from the pavement to the hallway.

Every now and then I do wonder if it would make any difference putting in the nice big 110v round 3 pin plugs and sockets, for power leads etc, better surface area contact and room for nice thick wire gauges.....?

Out of interest what heat pump?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2007
    Deaf Cat, Sep 26, 2007
  4. gavman

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

very common to have a dedicated phase for sound if possible with pro systems.One thing to be aware of if you go 3 phase is neutral balancing

themadhippy, Sep 26, 2007
  5. gavman

hi-fi evangelis

Hi,
    I agree with the mad hippy. If you have three phase you would have to balance the load on each phase. In plain english you would have to calculate how much power/current all appliances are using on each phase. However the cost for three phase would be very expensive and may not necessarily improve quality of sound. Mostly each phase is the same unless unbalanced (not good) Being a Qualified Electrician to latest standards. I am open to questions .However think to much hype is attached to mains supply and is a licence to print money for many cable companies/ dealers . Keep on rocking John

hi-fi evangelis, Sep 26, 2007
  6. gavman

gavman

much obliged for your comments

i've gone with a system designed by Ice Energy

gavman, Sep 26, 2007
  7. gavman

gavman

gavman, Sep 26, 2007
  8. gavman

Tenson Moderator

Or it might sound no different at all.

Any pictures of the progress Gavman?

Tenson, Sep 26, 2007
  9. gavman

Deaf Cat

Sent for an info pack:)

Deaf Cat, Sep 26, 2007
  10. gavman

Deaf Cat

To attempt to simulate an uneffected mains supply from home appliances, would it not be an idea to switch absolutly everything off, including freezer, fridge, cooker, phone, any chargers, lights etc (maybe even unplug everything), so the only thing that has power is the amp and cdp:) (no light bulbs either;))

The only difference while simulating, I can see, would be that you will have a load of rings (1.5mm2 and 2.5mm2) ready to carry power in the circuit, rather than in the proposed circuit of a single, maybe ott ;)10mm2 cable, straight to amp and cdp:D

Worth 2K ? down to individual circumstances I'd say:)

Deaf Cat, Sep 26, 2007
  11. gavman

gavman

yup, that's what i do atm, but the heat pump runs 24/7 and will create interference

wotcha simon, house going VERY slowly but hoping to be in by xmas, digital camera is high on the list so i'll post 'em when i've got 'em :)

gav

gavman, Sep 27, 2007
Ask a Question