Is this DIY headphone amp any good?

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by amazingtrade, Dec 18, 2010.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I want to get back into electronics and thanks to Tension I now have some very decent test equipment.

I was looking at online guides to building head amps and came across this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Banzai-V2-CMO...458?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4155606ef2

I like it because it has been 12 years since I have properly studied electronics and I am now very rusty so I would not confident of designing my own PCB from a circuit diagram.

But is it cheap crap?

I would use it as a portable headphone amp for my Samsung Galaxy.

amazingtrade, Dec 18, 2010
  2. amazingtrade

felix part-time Horta

http://gilmore2.chem.northwestern.edu/projects/

Under 'A Pocket headphone amplifeer' is the original article being ripped-off.

Chu Moy originated 'Headwize' and the library remains full of good advice for easy (and not-so-easy) DIY. Have a good read , and have a go. Chu Moy's basic amp is a great jumping-off point for all sorts of reasons. Not the-greatest-evah, but it remains simple, reliable, and essentially sound. You can find pretty much all you might need at Maplin for bobbins.

felix, Dec 21, 2010
  3. amazingtrade

Tenson Moderator

Looks like a nice simple design, although I'm not sure how good the NJM4560 opamp is. The Behringer stuff I modify uses the 4580 which looks to have a similar internal schematic and it's got some nasty IMD products. I might suggest trying a NE5532 as a replacement. It is also commonly used to directly drive headphones such as in the Behringer SRC2496. Someone more knowledgeable might point out why the 4560 is better.

Tenson, Jan 6, 2011
Ask a Question