Is this the most useful gadget ever?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by julian2002, Oct 30, 2004.

1. julian2002

julian2002 Muper Soderator

hi,
    i've just bought one of these doohickeys...
    http://www.tomtom.com/products/product.php?ID=0&Language=1

it has got to be the coolest gadget ever. not only is it a sat nav system for (compared to other systems) not a lot but you can download all sorts of points of interest and be told when you are nearby. why is this interesting? well becouse some bright spark has made every speed camera in these green isles (specs, gatso, truvelo and traffic light cameras too) a point of interest so the box will now moo at me when i'm within 200 yards of a speed camera. it'll also find nearest petrol stations, cinemas, opera houses, beaches, car dealer, airports, etc.. all in it's default database.
    it'll recalculate the route if you go the wrong way automatically and you can set roadblocks dynamically so if you hit traffic it'll make a fair stab at navigating round it.
    if you do a lot of driving and don't want to keep a pile of a-z's in the car or if you just like cool shit then get one of these things.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Oct 30, 2004
  2. julian2002

Dev Moderator

How much?

Dev, Oct 30, 2004
  3. julian2002

£412 from amazon. not cheap but compared to a garmin plus a road angel it's a steal.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Oct 30, 2004
  4. julian2002

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Julian is there no subscription for the sat nav??

garyi, Oct 30, 2004
  5. julian2002

Saab

great price,when you consider an origin Bluei is 380,and it isn't satnav.I paid £400 for a Snooper S6R neo 2 years ago

Saab, Oct 30, 2004
  6. julian2002

nope, no subscription for the gps service also the speed camera database was free too about the only thing i've paid extra for is a bigger sd memory card to hold all the extra data and even that wasn;t strictly necessary.
    the only drawback is that it won't catch mobile speed traps (laser ort hand held radar) but i believe there is a poi database for common speed trap areas in the works somewhere.
    there are additional map databases for things like major european roads and foreign cities if you fancy a continental touring holiday too.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Oct 30, 2004
Ask a Question