Isaac FFRC

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by MO!, Sep 11, 2003.

1. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I see in ur kit list you've said you're looking to replace the FFRC.

No doubt many will say you're speaker upgrade will benefit from *better* cable, but I was under the impression you were happy with the FFRC. Why the change of heart?

Got anything in mind?

MO!, Sep 11, 2003
  2. MO!

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

I was happy with FFRC. I believe that it's a fine budget cable.

However, I've now upgraded to the meadowlark kestrels. With an £800 CD player (upgraded) and a £1500 pair of speakers, as well as a £200 interconnect, I think my system is somewhat beyond budget cable now. I'm looking at significantly expensive speaker cables, such as Isolda, Music Wave and 4TC/8TC. These are notably better than FFRC, which competes (imo) well with cables like XL315, Silver Anniversary and SPK200, and thrashes the pants off Cable Talk 3 (which I used previously). Since I'm looking to go to a big power amp as the next box upgrade (and that will require its own powerblock), the speaker cable will remain the only budget item.

Had I kept the B&Ws, I'd have kept the FFRC.

I-S, Sep 11, 2003
  3. MO!

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Whatever happenned to being happy with what you had :D

PBirkett, Sep 11, 2003
  4. MO!

I heard Tone's system. :eek: :rolleyes:

I-S, Sep 11, 2003
  5. MO!

voodoo OdD

I'm saying nothing :D

991, 991, 991, 991.........

voodoo, Sep 11, 2003
  6. MO!

Dunno, might need it on extended loan first...

I-S, Sep 11, 2003
  7. MO!

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

I think Isaac, has held onto the FFRC long enough to realise that it's a bit out of it's depth, the U-bryte is better, but for the money, you could purchase a very reasonable cable. WM

wadia-miester, Sep 11, 2003
  8. MO!

BlueMax

Issac

It could be that FFRC is 'budget' because it is DIY and not 'expensive' because you are not paying for advertising costs and high retail margins as in a commercial product.

Will very much appreciate your views after you have had the chance to compare the FFRC with your new cable.

Few months ago I built a TNT TripleT spaeker cable. same as the FFRC but with twice as many cables.

I was impressed and plan to get a roll of UTP cable with Teflon dielectric and OFC copper to match the materials used in Kimber TC cables. UTP cables have the added benefits of twisted pair technology.

BlueMax, Sep 11, 2003
  9. MO!

From comparisons in my own system, I know that Ortofon SPK200 (at £5/m) is very much on a par with FFRC. In Dino's (Cookiemonster) system the Ortofon took the lead. In both cases the FFRC was made by myself (I sell it, dino was an earlyish customer) from the same reel of Belden 1583.

I still believe FFRC is a competitive budget cable. However, even in dino's system (RCD-991, NAD C370, B&W DM602S3) the more expensive cables on the day (Dynaudio OCOS and Kimber 4TC/8TC biwired) really did show an improvement.

With the meadowlarks, I suspect the improvement will be even more pronounced. I may yet arrange a bake-off in order to try a few out... :D

I-S, Sep 11, 2003
  10. MO!

BlueMax

There is a guy in the US who makes and sells FFRC using Teflon dielectric. He does it with full consent of Thorsten and with great success. He calls it 'Aural Thrills L24 Speaker Cable'.
    http://www.auralthrillsaudio.com/Products.htm

Telon UTP, in small lengths, is impossible to get hold off in Britain.
    But could be an oppertunity for someone like yourself!
    :)

BlueMax, Sep 11, 2003
  11. MO!

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Yes we have some, he can get up to $400 a set for it, maybe another case of he who dares wins, It's a U-bryte style derivetive, again Telfon is a second to none dielectric, but have you considered that the quality type/mix of wire/ has a bigger say in the overall sound, along with rfi rection :rolleyes: some audio philes won't buy stuff unless it has a $$$ tag on it else it must be shite. The FFRC and it family are ok to point then, even if you do DIY, start looking else where on the construction and materials front, IT WILL REAP BIG REWARDS SONICALY. (and then some) WM

Here you go

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc.pl?cablspkr&1063331326&auc&3&4&

wadia-miester, Sep 11, 2003
  12. MO!

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I have not been totally happy since swapping my FFRC back to my XL315, it just sounded more musical with FFRC, the bass is deeper now, but it just borders into boom and spoils the mid range. I don't think I will be making any more FFRC as my old ones were a bit bright and took me ages to make, I am not fussed at the moment but I think I need a change of speaker cable, somthing thats smooth, sublle, detailed yet not at all boomy, I think I have a hard task, oh and my budget? £5 a metre for biwire stuff.

amazingtrade, Sep 11, 2003
  13. MO!

Try the previously mentioned Ortofon SPK200. Dead on your budget at £5/m and it's a biwire cable.

I-S, Sep 11, 2003
Ask a Question