It's a courier Jim, but not as we know it

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by wadia-miester, Dec 18, 2003.

1. wadia-miester

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

You know when, you get one of those inklings' some thing going to go 'south of the river', you can't explain it, but you just know, like when your in between that state of R.E.M. and the open doorway to next universe ?.
    Well, sorta had that feeling earlier last month, when after exchanging drinking vouchers with Voodoo, for Wm's Wadia 8 transport, the deal was done, DHL was selected as the guys entrusted to take care of the said beastie to the land of the free, land of the brave, but could do with a bit more thwack :)
    Said collection day duly arrived, (for some strange reason I had the urge to take pictures of the wad, working & in action before carefull packaging and sealing, (which yours turely managed to accomplish without thumb print over lens, good job too)
    The agent arrived spot on 2pm to collect the spinner, to which Wm had to unpack the wad, for his personal inspection procedure :eek: to check for those misplaced drugs, laundered funds and boom, boom materials, having satisified himself, nothing was a foot watson, we repacked, and I waved good bye to my first real disc spinner, destined for pastures new.
    That Thursday, whilst checking those mails & pm's I found a rather dis heartened one from Voodoo, the wadia was non functioning upon releasing from it's cardboard prision.
    After running through a few basic fire up and test rituals, the verdict was certain, "aye mate, she be' shafted", Voodoo made quick call to DHL (LUX), where upon reciept of said picckys taken before dispatch, they aurothrised investigation of said problem with a quality hifi store of voodoo choice, on the phone.
    The gentleman at said store were a little preplexed as to Wm internal re-organision & 'interesting new components', and I'm afraid couldn't suss the problemo.
    Voodoo, whilst being a touched miffed, he purcivered, DHL yet again responed with, no probs, will ship back to the man that can, so it duly arrived a couple of days later (F.O.C.), er...... slight problem (again), one half of the box, looked like it had been swimming, not splash marks but fooking tide marks :rolleyes:
    Again DHL, sent out a local head ref, who upacked it in my presence ( and there's a lot of that :D ), no water damage inside, but no worky wadia.
    DHL said 'You da man' see what the grief is, so she was stripped and gutted, arh problem found, auxillary power supplies were non functioning, broken tracks & busted diodes (rough air passage???), anyway after replacing the board and diode array, strapped her in, fired her up and ignition successful, we have power captain.
    bench test/output check all ticky boo, she played not bad even, from stone cold (plane cargo hold is a touch chilly I believe), left on 7 day play test, no probs, Monday DHL rep checked out she was working & packaged her up personaly, took her away at 1pm, and faster than a mana sales man in an adventure playground, she was on voodoo's door step at 9.20 the following morning :)
    All present and correct, working fine, no charge from DHL, I also got compensation for time/hassle and fixing.
    Now it shouldn't have got busted in the first granted, however, DHL managed to sort out the problem, swifty, curtiously, and politey, with minium of fuss, judging by the after sales customer care, I would use them again :) just goes to show, not all companies are the same, as for voodoo, does he like his transport ? he may have a few words to say about it I'm sure. Wm

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2003
    wadia-miester, Dec 18, 2003
  2. wadia-miester

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

Nice account, Tone.

There are often some individuals within companies who are better than others. Thinking about it though, did you play some music to the DHL rep? Probably scared the poor guy half to death.

7_V, Dec 19, 2003
  3. wadia-miester

Alex S User

I've used a long list of couriers to ship hi-fi and antiques. DHL are one of the most expensive but easily the best. In general, it helps enormously if you know the drivers.

The normal advice is never to sign unless you've inspected the contents, yet the last City Link delivery driver actually refused to let me open the box unless I signed first!

Alex S, Dec 19, 2003
  4. wadia-miester

badchamp Thermionic Member

Whilst we're on......

the subject of couriers..

4 x Svet. 300b from Canada to SE16 in 5 days. No vat no Post Office "handling charge" Perfect nick (took me 20 mins to get the bl**dy package open:eek: total cost £214.

A result methinks :)

badchamp, Dec 19, 2003
  5. wadia-miester

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

Re: Whilst we're on......

Sounds interesting badchamp. But tell us what are you going to use 4 300Bs for?

a) 4 x surround sound single-ended power amps?
    b) 2 x push-pull?
    c) are you using the 300Bs to drive proper valves, like the 845?
    d) melting them down - you need the glass

;)

7_V, Dec 19, 2003
  6. wadia-miester

Ya-Boo

Made an entertaining read.............

Me being courier an all, yes DHL are the best ,you pay the price though with UPS a close 2nd ..........
    old story I,m afraid ya get what you pay for

Ya-Boo, Dec 19, 2003
  7. wadia-miester

badchamp Thermionic Member

Re: Re: Whilst we're on......

None of the above I'm afraid .. thought the Xmas tree needed a nice blue glow !:eek:

Mind you option a) is an interesting idea !

badchamp, Dec 19, 2003
  8. wadia-miester

voodoo OdD

Patience is a virtue, WM knows how to twiddle his soldering iron and DHL turned out to be a bunch of good eggs.

Do I like it ?

https://www.audio-forums.com/as-rediect/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2247

'nuff said.

I will however state that the AudioNote gave it a good run for it's money ;).
    I doubt WM would believe that though :D !

voodoo, Dec 20, 2003
Ask a Question