Itunes updates!!!!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MO!, Mar 25, 2007.

1. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Apple users often go on about how MS software being full of bugs and constantly needing to be fixed.

How come itunes seems to need updating MOre than any other bit of software on my pc?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2007
    MO!, Mar 25, 2007
  2. MO!

Dev Moderator

Perhaps it's for additional features:D.

One improvement I'd like to see to iTunes is for it to scan the music folder automatically and import any new tracks. The manual process can be painful. I.e. if you forget to import the tracks as soon as you've ripped them you you may forget and have to look through the folders to see what you need to import. Re-importing the whole lot results in duplications of everything already in the library.

Why can't it work like Rhythmbox or Amarok?

Dev, Mar 25, 2007
  3. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I thought itunes did sync the folder?

I like it in general, just that i'm suprised how often it seems to be updated.

MO!, Mar 25, 2007
  4. MO!

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

I have no idea how Dev is doing it.

However if some how you have managed to land up with tracks in the itunes music folder that is not in the itunes window, drag the music folder onto the itunes window.

It will not duplicate anything. Just add the tracks that were no there.

The updates have been to incorporate the new AppleTV. Check your preferences for the new tab.

garyi, Mar 25, 2007
  5. MO!

Dev Moderator

My music tracks are in the "Music" folder under my home folder. I just imported the tracks into the library but could not find an option to keep it in sync.

I'll look at it again.

Dev, Mar 25, 2007
  6. MO!

Dev how do you import the music?

If you set itunes to organise music it will copy it to the itunes music folder. This can be any folder you like. If you are importing into itunes the correct way, i.e. cds are imported through iTunes and MP3s dragged onto the itunes window, it cannot get out of sync. Its the sync thing I am confused with.

garyi, Mar 25, 2007
  7. MO!

andyoz

I loaded iTunes temporarily onto my laptop wihlst setting up my mates iPod.

Unistalled it months ago but I am still getting the bloddy iTunes updates promps. Dunno how to get rid of them (and yes, they do appear all to frequently).

andyoz, Mar 25, 2007
  8. MO!

Dev Moderator

I think I just added the Music folder to the library and it imported everything in the folder and subfolders. I have found that new folders do not get added to the folder automatically.

What is the proper way of adding music to the library? It's no hassle to do it again, especially if it then keeps everything in sync. I did check the button to tell it to update automatically.

Thanks in advance Gary.

Dev, Mar 25, 2007
  9. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Also, anyone know why even when itunes isn't running, ituneshelper.exe and ipodservice.exe run from start up?

I've never even connected an ipod to the computer.

MO!, Mar 25, 2007
  10. MO!

la toilette Downright stupid

I've got a handy little utility which makes it easy to stop most programs from unneccessarily running at startup, called startup.exe.

You just run it and it lists all the non-system applications that are initiated at startup, and if you don't want them to run you just de-select them. It looks in your startup folders and some parts of the registry I think. Can't remember where I got it from but it has been very useful. It's a 87kb freeware jobby that I've been using for about 5 years, if anyone wants it I'm sure I could forward it on. Guaranteed virus and spyware free!

la toilette, Mar 26, 2007
  11. MO!

Sgt Rock

msconfig does exactly the same and comes as standard.

start -> run -> msconfig

Sgt Rock, Mar 26, 2007
  12. MO!

the way to import music in itunes is to stick a cd in. With itunes running it will go onto gracenote and get the track names, then in the bottom right is 'import cd' click this.

in the itunes prefrences>advanced prefs is importing options.

If you are putting in MP3s from the web then select them and drag them onto the open itunes window and they will be imported correctly.

As for itunes helper, apparently its there to help when an iPod is attached, that is to say when you plug an ipod in, its there to deal with launching itunes etc. So if you do not have it you could disable it.
    The iPod one is for PCs and I guess deals with making sure the iPod mounts correctly as iPod, then Drive.

I would not delete them, they use very small resources and I think itunes looks for them on startup. They are in no way anything to do with phoning home or anything.

Incidentally if you worry about that you want to turn off the mini itunes store, as this looks at all your music and sends that info back to Apple.

garyi, Mar 26, 2007
  13. MO!

Dev Moderator

OK Gary, now I understand.

I don't use iTunes to rip my music any more. I rip it to flac using Sound Juicer (under ubuntu) and then I ran Sound converter to convert them to mp3 (took 15 hours to convert around 3000 tracks or 80GB without a hiccup, I was impressed). So I use flac for Squeezebox and mp3 for iPod (in car etc.).

So when I copy a new "CD" into the Music folder, iTunes doesn't seem to pick it automatically like Rhythmbox and Amarok do.

Dev, Mar 26, 2007
  14. MO!

greg Its a G thing

Indeed, yet I must have unchecked feckin Quicktime six times.

I hate Quicktime.

greg, Mar 26, 2007
  15. MO!

Dev what you are doing is convoluted and unnecessary.

If you are not keeping them in flac why bother with all that?

either use a high bitrate on AAc or MP3 from within itunes or use apple lossless which is an exact copy of the CD.

garyi, Mar 27, 2007
  16. MO!

greg itunes needs quicktime to play and convert music, without quicktime you cannot have itunes its just the way it is.

garyi, Mar 27, 2007
  17. MO!

Dev Moderator

I am keeping them in flac, for playing through Squeezebox. I only converted (copied) into mp3 once and it was an automated process. With the Linux players that I have played with it is very simple to set them up to rescan the library constantly for any changes.

It just sounds convoluted. In practice, it is quite simple, except that iTunes doesn't scan folders and I need to copy the tracks in. Alternatively I suppose I can rip twice. Once for flac and the second time using iTunes for mp3. With new CDs, it shouldn't be too much of a bother but to do the whole collection, Sound Converter was fantastic.

Dev, Mar 27, 2007
  18. MO!

Jampot

I'm still using iTunes 4.9 without update nags or Quicktime - works a treat.

Actually had to hunt arround the internet for an archive copy, as it was already at about version 6 when I bought an iPod!

I rip in Apple Lossless and use it on both the ipod and Squeezebox with very satisfactory results.

Jim

Jampot, Mar 27, 2007
  19. MO!

greg Its a G thing

Fairymuff. I still hate it though.

greg, Mar 27, 2007
  20. MO!

Dev I am in no way trying to 'convert' you but it may interest you to know that squeeze is quite happy to play apple lossless files:

http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_squeezebox.html

Which typically take up the same room as a FLAC and as its an exact copy of the original file gives you exactly whats on the CD.

If you chose to use apple lossless then importing becomes a one step process i.e. put a cd in.

Squeeze is also quite happy utilising the itunes music library. For you this would represent the quickest way forward a loose the issues with missing syncs.

garyi, Mar 27, 2007
Ask a Question