I've done it again!

Discussion in 'Classical Music' started by titian, Dec 21, 2003.

1. titian

titian

Yes today I couldn't resist and I had to click a botton even if I don't know what I bought.
    Anyone know something about Reger's chamber or piano music?
    Not even his his organ music I know. RdS: Help.

The only thing I kow about his music are some of his orchestral music (variations ...) which I love.

titian, Dec 21, 2003
  2. titian

Herman

Max Reger is arguably the last great chamber music composer in the tradition that started with Haydn.

He's Brahms's successor, as it were, and after Reger came Schönberg - who included a lot of Reger Kammermusik in the Vienna concerts he organized.

There are five string quartets, of which the last three are excellent. A wonderful clarinet quintet. I like his piano quartets. There's a long piano trio I rather like.

There is a great violin sonata with piano (and a bunch of lesser works), and innumerbale other works for two instruments or solo violin, viola or cello.

It's music that starts in the head, but it will find a place in your heart.

Herman

Herman, Dec 21, 2003
  3. titian

Rodrigo de Sá This club's crushing bore

Titian:

My Internet connection is giving me so much trouble I won't be able to answer properly to you. I'm writing just to let you know that I'll answer later.

For all, a Merry Christmas

Rodrigo de Sá, Dec 22, 2003
  4. titian

Rodrigo de Sá This club's crushing bore

This seems to be holding, so I'll try and say something.

I know little of Reger's organ music because it is extremely difficult to play and even to listen to.

All in all, what I know is this. He was influenced by Bach, Wagner and Liszt- a rather hybrid influence4 I agree. But notheless, he usually crowns his big pieces with a major, quase last movement Brusckner Synphony lilke fugue.

It is difficult, but it can be very beautiful.

He was one of the few people who actually resisted peer pressure, and his music is not what you would expect. He is still tonal (more or less), the counterpoint is based on the traditional rules, but his harmony is very pungent.

He was a tormedted person and his music shows it.

This all is wtritren in a rush

Hope you like it (I mean the music)!.

I now I hope I can post this!

Rodrigo de Sá, Dec 22, 2003
  5. titian

Herman

I doubt anyone who produced that much music, could be described as a tormented person, period. He clearly had a lot of fun penning that music he heard in his head, for all those different forms, from big orchestral pieces to solo viola.

I forgot to mention Reger's Piano Cto, another lateish piece which definitely needs to be performed more often. In fact I have only been at one live performance in my entire life.

Herman

Herman, Dec 22, 2003
  6. titian

titian

Thank you for your input. The money is on its way and I expect the LPs to be here at the beginning of next year.
    49LPs are quite a lot so it will take me time to go through the lot.
    Meanwhile between Christmas and the end of the year I hope to finish the Beethoven's 4th symhony activity. For over a month I didn't have my TT but now it is back. Using the Classe amplifier instead of the tube Nestorovic isn't taking away my pleasure for listening to music even if the sound quality is not really that what I was used to. Well I will have to wait another month from now.
    Meantime let's enjoy Reger.
    :D

titian, Dec 23, 2003
Ask a Question