JR149's

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by bottleneck, Sep 22, 2004.

1. bottleneck

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi.

Just been listening to a pre-production version of my new horn hybrids. They sound f**king awesome, and Im gibbering suitably. However thats not the subject of the post.

Nick at the emporium lent me a pair of speakers to be getting on with. Funny bog roll shaped metal tubs, about a foot high each.

I'd seem them in pictures, and I think Lilolee and possibly Steve (7V) has talked about them before. Ive read a little about them over the years too, essentially an Ls3/5a off-shoot in long cylinders.

Heres a picture.

[​IMG]

Basically, theyve made me completely re-think my position on small standmounts. They sound ridiculously good.. Clear as a whistle and suprisingly full range sounds.

I know this is old news to some, but its really opened my eyes to what must be out there. I havent really explored older standmounts before.

Dont get me wrong, I still want a massive pair of horns with huge bass units to listen to, but these are so good theyve made me re-assess my view on hifi speakers. The range of famous brand speakers Id not rate as highly as these .. from floorstanders to standmounts is unprintable for fear of upsetting forum regulars.

Anybody else got much experience of these, or want to share experience with jaw dropping minis?

I can see why Lee rates these things so highly. I honestly reckon if I'd had them 10 years ago I might never have felt the need to change. Upgradeitus curing super tubs they are.

Chris

bottleneck, Sep 22, 2004
  2. bottleneck

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

They sure bring back memories, the JR149 was my very first pair of hi-fi speakers bought second hand way back in 79! The pair in the pic are exactly like the pair I had, they are very early versions with IIRC a 16 Ohm crossover. They later changed the logo on the base and crossover design. Good little speakers. I'd love to hear a pair now as I knew absolutely bugger all about setting up audio kit back then!

Tony.

TonyL, Sep 22, 2004
  3. bottleneck

michaelab desafinado

My dad has had a pair since 1978. Bought them in Tehran! Still uses them and loves them. Fed by a Philips CD104 (circa 1982, his first CD player) and a Rotel integrated from the 90s that he reluctantly took on when his beloved Pioneer receiver (can't remember the model name) gave up the ghost. He also still has a lovely old late 70's Pioneer cassette deck and TT.

The JR149's are still in perfect nick except that the foam covers rotted long ago and he never bothered to replace them. Brilliant little speakers. Those in the picture are identical (logo and everything) to the ones my dad has. What are they worth these days out of interest?

Michael.

michaelab, Sep 23, 2004
  4. bottleneck

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

It's worth keeping an eye on eBay as there is someone selling replacement foam covers from time to time that look identical to the originals.

They have joined the 'cult of LS3/5A' and a mint pair can get 400 quid or so, and if he has the red logo ones I bet they would get top dollar as if my memory is correct they have the 16 Ohm crossover which is the one the LS3/5A collectors seem to covert.

Incidentally the 'JR' is Jim Rogers, the Rogers behind Rogers loudspeakers, so he knew a thing or two about LS3/5As! He left Rogers and the trade name behind in the mid 70s and set up JR. He died two years ago.

Tony.

TonyL, Sep 23, 2004
  5. bottleneck

Ken

I remember them well.

I also remember that because they were 'different' most magazines did not like them.
    This was of course before the LS3/5A cult emerged.

There are many speakers from a bygone age that still sound better than a lot of today's shockers.

Some names and models are obvious, Quad 57's and 63's, most LS3/5A's, Yamaha NS1000's.

Others are still 'best kept secrets', however a lot has to do with improvements in amplifiers and maybe that some old speakers sound better when being fed with CD input.

The original old Gale 401's sound wonderful on the end of some of today's power house amps. So does the Dahlquist DQ10 and the John Jeffries Nightingale NSM1.

Others to look out for are the Mordaunt Short series from the 70's (Pageants, Festivals & Carnivals).

There is also a range from a Japanese manufacturer called Coral that have a cult following when matched with a quality modern amp.

Ken

Ken, Sep 23, 2004
  6. bottleneck

joel Shaman of Signals

I've heard plenty of Corals :rolleyes: and don't rate them TBH (they are dirt cheap s/h so I've been tempted a few times in the past). The really big Diatones are quite interesting, as are compression drivers from the likes of TAD and ALE ;)

joel, Sep 23, 2004
  7. bottleneck

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

There is actually 3 versions of the JR149.

The Red label were the first and pretty much a 15ohm LS3/5A.
    However quality control of the B110 woofer unit at Kef meant changes to the xover had to be done so the gold label was produced which was essentially an 11 ohm version.
    Later on a fuse was put into the xover because people kept blowing the things up.
    These are worth anything between £100 - £300 depending on condition.

LiloLee, Sep 23, 2004
  8. bottleneck

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

I have 2 pairs of these, one brand new and unopened, they belonged to my Uncle

wadia-miester, Sep 23, 2004
  9. bottleneck

joel Shaman of Signals

Alright, not that I actually need any more speakers..., but how much do you want for one pair WM?

joel, Sep 23, 2004
  10. bottleneck

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

One is new & boxed Unopened, the other hasn't been used for 14 years, other than a quick hook up to check them last year, they are pretty near spotless, Lilolee is the man to ask, Pm him see what he says ok

wadia-miester, Sep 23, 2004
  11. bottleneck

djdstone

Would you sell the unopened ones?

djdstone, Jan 21, 2005
  12. bottleneck

oscalot

JR149 Loudspeakers for sale on EBAY - end 26th Aug

Loudspeaker system JR149 Good condition 100% working
    available now for auction on Ebay

Starting price: £4.99

www.ebay.co.uk
    Search for Item number: 270018942899

Start date: Wednesday, 16 Aug, 2006 01:03:28 BST
    End date: Saturday, 26 Aug, 2006 01:03:28 BST
    Quantity: 1

Also for sale: NAD Amplifier in other items for sale!

Grab yourself a bargain!

oscalot, Aug 16, 2006
  13. bottleneck

darrylfunk

nice

my first system was a ar legend , nytech obelisk one and jr 150's.
    a load of gear which i wish i still had.
    i sold the deck and speakers to get a linn lp12 and a pair of kans.
    which i soon got rid off as it just sounded so thin and weedy compared to my original set up.
    drat !

darrylfunk, Aug 16, 2006
  14. bottleneck

dunkyboy

Not yet had the chance to hear JR149s, but a somewhat more modern mini that I like a lot is the Leema Xen. A bit forward, so they need proper partnering and setup, but done right, they sound wonderful. The freedom from boxiness, and openness of imaging is gorgeous, and they have a wonderful sweet yet powerful sound. The grunt you get for the size is astounding.

Dunc

dunkyboy, Aug 16, 2006
  15. bottleneck

rick

ive had several pairs. my first pair cost me £250 in about 1990 but were boxed and mint and also came with the matching active sub. the sub is a very interesting device if you can get hold of one. i kept blowing the amp up though? so ended up just using the satelites and had many happy years. ive seen them go for £400+ on madbay, ive picked others up since for between £4 and £50, maybe 7 pairs ive owned but i havnt got any at the moment.
    they like big amps too!

rick, Aug 16, 2006
  16. bottleneck

hifienthusiast

Stick a vintage Leak or Quad valve amp to the JR149 and you will hear one of the best sounding combo built 30 to 50 years ago.

hifienthusiast, Aug 16, 2006
  17. bottleneck

anubisgrau

how have you managed to disintegrate 7 pairs of those:confused:

anubisgrau, Aug 17, 2006
  18. bottleneck

Baudrillard

The JR149 is listed in the Hifi world 'Classics' section. It says something about needing big solid state to give of their best.

Baudrillard, Aug 17, 2006
  19. bottleneck

spet0114 REMPI Member

149s and big amps.

I've been running my pair (bought last month for 37 quid!) with a Naim Nait (not a big amp!). Having listened to Nait/Kans in the past, I must say the 149s are a pretty good match. More mellow than the Kans and they even have a bit of bass.

When I get round to it, I'll hook them up to my 'main' naim rig (32.5/Hicap/160 and see if a bigger amp makes the 149s sound better.

Cheers

Adrian

spet0114, Aug 20, 2006
  20. bottleneck

sastusbulbas

I am trying to remember the old Nightingale model numbers, can never find any images or info on the web, anyone here know where to read up on these ?

The pair I used to own had the B139 in a transmition line cab with formica side panels , and the crossover on top along with the Peerless mid and white domed Isophon tweeter on open baffles.

I found those quite superb.....

sastusbulbas, Aug 20, 2006
Ask a Question