Jumper cables

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by mr cat, Aug 27, 2004.

1. mr cat

mr cat Member of the month

I've just bought some terminated speaker cables - and I and thinking about buying some jumper cables…

What are your thoughts on them..?
    Who does, them apart from Russ Andrews, and which ones should I buy, if any.?

cheers

mr cat, Aug 27, 2004
  2. mr cat

analoguekid Planet Rush

Use same wire as your speaker cable if possible, either buy a metre unterminated and use bare wire to binding posts, or if you are handy with soldering iron, cut off existing plugs and cut off enough wire to make jumpers and re solder plugs on.

analoguekid, Aug 27, 2004
  3. mr cat

sideshowbob Trisha

If you still have the links that came with the speakers I'd carry on using them. Makes no perceptible difference IME.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Aug 27, 2004
  4. mr cat

yeah, I bought the cables from fleabay - some oldish monster cables that were some prototype..!

mr cat, Aug 27, 2004
  5. mr cat

Sid and Coke

Here's an idea that i've often thougt about doing myself. Rather than use seperate main speaker wire and seperate jumpers. Why not remove about 1" to 2" of insulation about 8" to 9" from the end of your new cable. You can then double this exposed bit of wire over and attach your banana plugs, then just attach your other pair of banana plugs at the end of the cable. In this manner you will have one continuous run of cabe from amp to speaker but with two speaker connections at the speaker end. If you decide not to use bananas and your binding posts allow it you could also just thread the wire through one binding post and clamo down and then terminate at the other. just an idea. You next conundrum is whether to connect the main run of cable to the Bass connections and 'jumper' to the treble, or connect to the treble first and jumper to the bass. ;)

Sid and Coke, Aug 27, 2004
  6. mr cat

julian2002 Muper Soderator

sid,
    what you describe is called a 'shotgun' as you have 1 cable with 2 barrels.
    personally i found replacing the boggo bits of metal on my b&w's helped a lot you can also try plugging the + into the tweeter connection and the - into the bass (or vice versa) and jumpering appropriately this can make a difference too. really i think it depends on the speaker but it doesn't cost much to try it.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Aug 28, 2004
  7. mr cat

Hi, I decided to try and make my own...well, I was going to try and get a hold of some spades and the only places I could find (on a saturday afternoon!) was a hardware store and Maplins...well, they only sold these real cheap and nasty affairs (69p for about 16 pieces...) which I was going to attach to some excess centre cable I have Gale XL315).

anyway, after getting home I was going to test the spades, but after finding them too small for the binding posts anyway I just fitted the cables (about 6' each) and the difference is great!
    the bass is great - nice and smooth...well worth the effort if you haven't tried them already...

mr cat, Aug 31, 2004
Ask a Question