Kef eggs, err dont do music.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Mart, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Mart

Mart Smog Dodger

After my recent house move, and sale of my kit to finance it, I thought I'd buy a set of kef eggs for movies and just put up with them for music too.

I lasted a week, ok with movies, but they dont do music.

So I exchanged them for kef Q4, Q6c & Q compacts and thought I'd have the best of both worlds as the Q4's are floorstanders and didnt get a bad review in HFC.

I will learn to take no notice of reviews in future, honest.

They were awful and judging by the volume posistion on my amp they were harder to drive than any other speakers I've had. There was no low bass at all, treble sounded recessed and sat on, midrange was better with vocals sounding natural (ish) but that to me doesnt make a pair of speakers worth having. How hifi choice gave them the review they did I dont know.

So they went back and I plummed for a pair of B&W 603 S3's, I got them home and they sounded good straight out of the box, they've had a few days constant use now and are starting to sound better still, in fact, at their price I'm quite surprised at how good they are, open and airy sounding with warm and full bass that goes deeper than I expected.

So I'm quite happy with my system, for the moment. Although, I'm too impulsive to not buy anything else, I'm already hankering after a pair of 601's for rears and an LCR 600 centre, a decent cdp maybe, right, wheres the classifieds. :D

Mart, Feb 19, 2005
  2. Mart

adam

I too had Kef eggs,I found the same,very weak speakers,well made,look good,but poor sound,glorified TV speakers,sold within a year,but kept the rears,went B&W 800 series for fronts.

adam, Feb 19, 2005
Ask a Question