Kef Reference 104ab speakers

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by RabbieBurns, Jun 5, 2007.

1. RabbieBurns

RabbieBurns Rabbie Burns

Hello all,

My first post, so please be indulgent if it's in the wrong forum.

I'm moving to Spain at the end of this month, and my beloved Kefs have to be sold (wifely ultimatum, she's always hated them). I've had them since the mid-70s, listened to everything from Wagner to Bubba Sparxxx and always loved the sound they produced.

My question is what would be a fair price to ask for them (both speakers with all original parts, plus stands, but missing foam grilles) bearing in mind they've probably been superceded acoustically over the last thirty years? Or if that's too precise a question, what would be a sensible reserve to place on them to sell them on EBay?

Again apologies if it's the wrong topic or the wrong place but I'm impressed by the collective love and knowledge of things hi-fi and as a Scot I don't want to ask too little (or too much) for my old friends.

Regards: Steve Wilson

RabbieBurns, Jun 5, 2007
  2. RabbieBurns

la toilette Downright stupid

I sold a pair on ebay at the end of last year (I think), and I got £120-ish for them. They were in near mint condition and perfect working order, with brand new grills and non-original stands. I seem to recall seeing them go on ebay for anywhere between £50 and £150, and have seen them advertised elsewhere for a bit more, but I bought mine privately for £80.

Personally I prefer to sell on ebay with no reserve, it's more exciting :D .

Hope this helps, Dave.

la toilette, Jun 5, 2007
  3. RabbieBurns

zanash

I'd have thought a mint set would have got £200 minimum .....ask £300 and have some wriggle room !

I'm thinking the floor standers from the 70's and 80's

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2007
    zanash, Jun 5, 2007
  4. RabbieBurns

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

bottleneck, Jun 5, 2007
  5. RabbieBurns

la toilette Downright stupid

Well I'm talking 104ab's, like the man said ;) . They date from the 70's, like these but the ab version:
    http://www.kef.com/history/1970/model104.asp
    I wouldn't call them bookshelf though, or floorstanders, standmount in fact. :) The ab version of the 104 had upgraded crossovers, ab = acoustic butterworth I believe, cost more than the straight 104's.

I had them in the private ads on here briefly for £140 ono, but no-one was tempted! Sold on ebay for £119.31:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....MESE:IT&viewitem=&item=230048926813&rd=1&rd=1

Nice speakers though, I've got a similar model Cadenza's in my workshop now, same driver line-up but nowhere as good.

la toilette, Jun 5, 2007
  6. RabbieBurns

RabbieBurns Rabbie Burns

Thanks for your help

Thanks for the information. Coincidentally a pair that look in the same condition as mine sold in the US for about $210 just a couple of days ago.

Wish me luck.

SteveW

RabbieBurns, Jun 6, 2007
  7. RabbieBurns

owl37400

I would agree that the range of 50 -150 is right. I seem to remember seeing them normally going for about 100-120 on ebay last year while I was on there looking for some KEF 105s.

owl37400, Jun 6, 2007
  8. RabbieBurns

zanash

I still think its being under sold ! they had great reviews back then [well good anyway] .....but its a market driven thing ..get the most you can !

zanash, Jun 6, 2007
Ask a Question