Ketron SD2 sound module

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jjj, May 21, 2009.

1. jjj

jjj

Hi there... you wonderful musicos !

Some time back, I bought that SD2 and I must really say that I fell in love with its sounds. It's almost impossible to get these sorts of quality sounds from INTERNET d/l sites. Apart from that I'm musically very demanding, for I know all too well what a great sound can/should sounds like and anything less is just not making me happy. Only when I get the right sound then this one will do me forever... or longer. Thus, the SD2 delivered quite a number of these hotly desired quality sounds.
    I always had a weakness for K. Wunderlich's Wersi and Tyros style sounds (even got a personal letter from the great, late organist). Yet, being a young pensioner, liven on modest income in an underdeveloped country, I have to improvise my musical dreams with homemade gadgets: From Poland I bought a cheap keyboard encoder and so, build my own MIDI keyboard with PC switches from an electronics surplus store.
    The thing I did with the Ketron SD2 was quite interesting, though: (A poor bugger's resolution:)
    I convert all its interesting sounds to (truly) perfect Sf2 soundfonts and then sold the SD2 again (!) ...of course at a lower price. The difference was the price I had to pay to get my hands onto these great sounds (at least, that's how I justified it to my wife...) What a shame that there is not a way of swapping great soundfonts between Ketron, Wersi and Tyros etc. without having to waste 1000's of dollar on futile sound module hardware!
    That's only good capitalists, yet bad for us (mostly poor) musicians.

Also, I earned myself a copy of Live-Styler.de accompaniment, by translating their user manual. Hence that, together with SD2 sounds gets me pretty near the "real Mc Coy". That's certainly one way of getting there cheaply, isn't it?
    Maybe I should do the same with some other sound modules? Would you have an idea what other modules I should aim at? The trouble is I'm losing money buying and reselling them.

The seemingly only drawback with SF2 is that it cannot create articulation switches, but SD2 didn't have much of it it either and still sounds convincingly realistic. Besides, I don't believe that the lateral noises and imperfections are really necessary to emulate a known instrument. I prefer the best of tonal quality an instrument is capable to produce and am less keen on its side effects.

Far more important is how effectively volume and tremolo variations are applied. Accordion players (for instance) apply volume and tremolo variations very effectively with the bellow; unlike keyboard players, i.e. wished there would be a similarly effective way for keyboard players. Touch sensitivity and/or after-touch isn't quite the same.
    For instance, when I whistle to music (Hear me blowing up here:
    ), I apply various tremolo and dynamic variations very efficiently.
    Actually, that alone already introduces rich emotional creative values (the soul) into the music. Of course an interesting sounding instrument enhances the overall performance considerably and lends realism. On the other hand, poor dynamic variations merely enhance the "robotics" of a melody.
    Greetings, from Joh living down-under in a little town in the Chilean Andes... :)

jjj, May 21, 2009
  2. jjj

murphybridget

The accordion's bellows indeed provide a unique and expressive way for players to master volume and tremolo variations, adding a distinctive quality to the music.

murphybridget, Dec 5, 2023
  3. jjj

murphybridget

It must have been truly enjoyable to play accordion on the Andes.

murphybridget, Jan 12, 2024
Ask a Question