Latest DIY Speaker and Amp Project

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by ShinOBIWAN, Sep 2, 2007.

1. ShinOBIWAN

Stereo Mic

That's looking really impressive - I might have to look at the PC software solution again in the future.

The sound traits you describe remind me of the Peak Consults so I'm pretty sure it's an Audio Tech thing as you say. Smooth and effortless with a cavernous soundstage and great scale.

I think coming from the horn like dynamics of the ATC, most drive units tend to sound a little more rounded. The Raal sounds interesting as well. I admire your tenacity in all honesty. I approached my project from the other angle of getting the sound right, then thinking of a way to package it attractively. I'm struggling with the latter part!

Is the actual in room response shelving down with your speaker or are you now aiming for a flat response from the lower mids upwards?

Stereo Mic, Sep 17, 2007
  2. ShinOBIWAN

ShinOBIWAN

Thanks Mike.

On quality recording such as the Chesky stuff etc. I get excellent results but on mp3's and the like it show the defects and you tend to be drawn to that rather than the music. However some FR shaping using target curves, especially ones that lower the treble and upper mids, give a more pleasant sound hiding some of the hash present in lower bitrate mp3's or poor quality CD's. However you loose some realism and feeling with the quality recording when you doing so. I'm still playing but might have to compromise and have an mp3 setting and another for decent quality recordings.

Any suggestions on what to try Mike?

ShinOBIWAN, Sep 17, 2007
  3. ShinOBIWAN

Stereo Mic

You don't want to listen to anyone else's suggestions!

I'm surprised the mp3's sound so bad though - are they really heavily compressed? I can listen for hours to 192 kbps AAC's - OK not the realism of CD but close enough and rather smooth.

Stereo Mic, Sep 18, 2007
  4. ShinOBIWAN

ShinOBIWAN

Most are 128kbs or VBR, All the mp3's I've ripped myself are 320Kbs and these mostly sound fine. Please bear in mind an awful lot of these are 'dance' music and that isn't known to have the very highest of mastering standards even before low bitrate mp3 conversion.

From experimentation, recessing the mids and treble can work wonders but it isn't a solution for every source. Maybe I should have a clearout of the junk quality mp3's but am reluctant to do so because there's some great tunes in there.

ShinOBIWAN, Sep 18, 2007
  5. ShinOBIWAN

AUDIA8MAN

nice job!!!

you did a box once with a atc 3", what were your impression on that in termes of sound and compared to these,what do you think will be different?

what's the thickness of the front panel?

sorry i just saw the construction pics,
    i see very well the details

i heard the raal the biggest they make with a 6" audiothechnology from solen and it plays very well,the woofer they used was 12"eton in a big sealed cabinet.it actually plays well but not totally sold with the mid still considering the atc for that matter.

again very well done

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2007
    AUDIA8MAN, Oct 1, 2007
  6. ShinOBIWAN

hi-fi evangelis

If they sound as good as they look you are onto a winner. I would help you sell them if you wish.Any idea on price yet. Any discount for forum members, not after a freebee.
    john

hi-fi evangelis, Oct 1, 2007
  7. ShinOBIWAN

ShinOBIWAN

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ShinOBIWAN, Mar 23, 2008
  8. ShinOBIWAN

ianb

Damn ... these look good!

Incidentally, what kind of adhesive did you use to stick the lead sheeting to the mdf? (I was thinking of trying out lead as a damping material myself.)

Ian

ianb, Mar 23, 2008
  9. ShinOBIWAN

ShinOBIWAN

Hey Ian, thanks.

Regular tradesman type contact adhesive will do the job admirably. Lead weighs a ton(watch your back when moving the speakers!) but does a superb job damping panel vibrations. It laughable when you compare a sheet of 18mm MDF treated with lead sheet compared to the same but with bitumen sheet. Of course there's no harm in using both at the same time. ;)

ShinOBIWAN, Mar 23, 2008
  10. ShinOBIWAN

zanash

have you finished them both now ....?

zanash, Mar 23, 2008
  11. ShinOBIWAN

ShinOBIWAN

Hey Pete, yes, both finished. Have been for a while now.

ShinOBIWAN, Mar 23, 2008
  12. ShinOBIWAN

Tenson Moderator

What are you using to run them active before your new amps arrive?

Tenson, Mar 23, 2008
  13. ShinOBIWAN

ShinOBIWAN

A real mix and mash of amps I've been auditioning in an effort to choose a victor. On tweeters I have pinkmouse' Symasym, on the upper mids I have Aussieamps NX400NL, on .5 way mids I have the cheap and nasty Technics affair and on bass I have them wired in series to a UcD400HG with HxR regulators. Phew, OK think I got that right.

I choose the NX400NL or specifically the NX400NL-LSP out of that lot. They're on their way from Australia as I type so I'll be getting another nice boost once they arrive. Just have to find the time to get them in the cases and not leave them lying around, ghetto style, on 9mm MDF boards. ;)

ShinOBIWAN, Mar 23, 2008
  14. ShinOBIWAN

Tenson Moderator

Have you had the chance to pitch the SKA against the AussieAmps? I know you said you got scared off the SKA as you blew some up, but I'm not clear why you went for a completely different amp rather than just buying some ready populated SKA boards? Did you just fancy another change?

As I said to you in PM, I added regulation to my SKAs and I'm really quite chuffed with the sound now :) When I move my set-up over to active (passive ATM) I will have regulated SKA for the mid and tweeters and UCD400's for the woofers, probably also fully regulated, having found the bass improved with the SKA. Most likely down to having a lower output Z at low frequencies than a capacitive supply source.

Did you feel the AussieAmps were better than the UCD even for the bass?

P.S. Your doodles are very good :) I was impressed with the texture of the felt insert on the pics over at DIYA.com

Tenson, Mar 24, 2008
  15. ShinOBIWAN

ShinOBIWAN

The GB300 are now with Tim who bought them from me late last year so a comparison isn't possible.

I went with the NX400NL-LSP primarily because its the best sounding out of the Symasym and UcD400HG-HxR. I didn't go with pre-built fuckwit proof :D SKA because I believe the NX400 to be roughly equivalent. Its tough to say for certain but going by memory the two are certainly impossibly close, maybe the NX400 has slightly more control and presence in the bass, I say this because it was the first thing I noticed when I fired it up. So your probably thinking "well if they're about the same what swayed your decision?". That's easy to answer, the NX400NL-LSP has built in DC protection and also balanced XLR input:

[​IMG]

It was a no brainer with the cost of the drivers they're connected to. The relay also has the nice side effect of being able to mute the output, eliminate turn on thump and provide an instant off when powering down instead of the usual several seconds of audio fading as the caps discharge. Maybe not a big deal but its less DIY and more polish and you know I'm all for that. The balanced input will allow me a nice easy connection to my existing kit which is all XLR.

UcD400 is a great bass amp. I don't like Class D on mids and highs. They're pretty dry sounding, have you noticed that? But that sound works well with bass, really tight and well defined plus there's power on tap to hit hard and precise. The NX400 is likewise strong here. Both are similar in power output and the differences are minimal TBH.

BTW Nice work on the regulated SKA. I wouldn't mind putting the NX400 up against that.

ShinOBIWAN, Mar 24, 2008
  16. ShinOBIWAN

Tenson Moderator

Hi Ant,

Thanks for the comments. I have to admit I wish the SKA had a balanced input. I actually put XLRs on my amps, just because I assumed it would have. When I came to wire it all up it was a bit of a 'doh!' moment! Not that it really matters, but the IC to the left amp runs past a big power block and so I'd feel happier if it was balanced. Can't hear any noise though :) I went for the DC coupled option since there isn't really any way DC will get in to my system, as its floating transformer coupled at the pre-amp outputs.

I've only heard one digital amp in my system, which was a ZaPulse 2.3SE (IIRC the model). I can't say it really sounded dry... it was quite precise, but in a warm way. I've heard BelCanto at a friends and again it sounded kinda warm. A bit like they were trying to tune it that way to prove it didn't sound digital.

on the other hand, FlyingMole and NuForce that I have heard on a few occasions, but non critically, all sounded a little dry. I haven't tried my UCD400 yet. I will assemble them in due course, but I have no doubts they will do the job nicely. Mainly I was attracted to their reported reliability and bullet-proof nature, which is not so common for a switching amp.

If your ever in the area come and pay a visit. You can hear the regulated SKA and the rest of whatever I'm running at the time (always something good!). You can visit PinkMouse as well, as hes only a 10min train ride away in Chatham. I'll put you up for the night if you need. :)

Bring the LGT in your backpack.

Tenson, Mar 24, 2008
  17. ShinOBIWAN

ShinOBIWAN

Mighty kind of you Simon. I'd really enjoy stopping by yours sometime. We're having the DIY meet in Chatham as PM is arranging the venue. Its a two day event again so it'd be no effort to drop in during the evening, listen to some music, chat about DIY and debate who has the worst taste in music.

I've got a 'Head' bag(anyone remember these things) from the early 90's that I could probably fit a single LGT in. :D

I'll be bringing some amps and the PCXO so if we have time maybe have play around with that.

ShinOBIWAN, Mar 24, 2008
  18. ShinOBIWAN

Dev Moderator

Hi Shin, is this open to anyone? If so, can you please post details?

Dev, Mar 24, 2008
  19. ShinOBIWAN

Tenson Moderator

I didn't know there was another DIY meet, I'll deffo come if its that close. It was just too far last time.

I still have a Head bag from my school days. Lasted bloody well!
    [​IMG]

Tenson, Mar 24, 2008
  20. ShinOBIWAN

ShinOBIWAN

Dev, your more than welcome. Details are still being firmed up so I'll post back with more info. I know Simon wanted to come along to the last one but distance was a problem, he's got no excuse this time ;) I also know you and him are mates so if a group of you want to get together and come down that's cool too. The more merrier.

Simon, yep that's a Head bag although not the monstrosity I'm talking about. They did a HUGE bag in the early 90's that you could fit a small person in - not joking because when I was at school we stuffed a mate in there and dragged him around during a whole break period. T'was great fun... for us :D

ShinOBIWAN, Mar 24, 2008
Ask a Question