Latest DIY Speaker and Amp Project

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by ShinOBIWAN, Sep 2, 2007.

1. ShinOBIWAN

zanash

are you going to mail all the people who went to chesterfield diy meet ?

zanash, Apr 3, 2008
  2. ShinOBIWAN

ShinOBIWAN

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ShinOBIWAN, Apr 14, 2008
  3. ShinOBIWAN

Tenson Moderator

Nice CG.

Sorry to say it though, the speaker is ugly IMO! Reminds me if a super size minipod thing.

Tenson, Apr 14, 2008
  4. ShinOBIWAN

ShinOBIWAN

Not really intended to be anything other than the end result of trying to get grips with the 3D sketching, lofted extrudes and guide curve functions within Solidworks. Not bad for a first attempt and I can see much possibility using these tools.

Sadly they empower you so much that building such things is well beyond the practical constraints of an average DIY'er armed with regular tools such as myself. Such designs will require CNC cut mold's and fibreglass. This is hugely expensive apparently (think ££££'s for the molds), so unless I was going into business and selling designs in quantity then I think its safe to say these little idea's will remain just that.

I wouldn't have any issue with the spraying but that's about the only thing that's easy.

When you think of the possibilities and beauty available, any sort of box, even of the LGT standard, just doesn't cut it.

Hmm...

ShinOBIWAN, Apr 14, 2008
  5. ShinOBIWAN

Tenson Moderator

You think? I'm not so sure. I think simple elegant design made with beautiful materials can be really gorgeous. In fact I prefer it to a all curvy fancy thing in high gloss. Give me quality natural materials any day, as the Japanese tend to do interior design with.

Tenson, Apr 14, 2008
  6. ShinOBIWAN

ShinOBIWAN

I think its possible to get planar surfaces and shapes to look nice. More sculpted shapes have greater appeal IMO and of course, have real acoustic benefits too - particularly WRT diffraction and internal standing waves.

ShinOBIWAN, Apr 14, 2008
  7. ShinOBIWAN

ShinOBIWAN

Another one for your here Simon. I think its quite banana like. I'd love to see someone get these past the wife. Not really UK speakers, we're far too conservative. :D

[​IMG]

ShinOBIWAN, Apr 14, 2008
  8. ShinOBIWAN

AUDIA8MAN

are those 4H521306 as mids?
    if i'm looking to get a dynamic sound a low level volume would it be better then the atc mid?and keep the detailed sound also.
    because i don't listen loud often i rarely pass 10oclock on the volume dial of the preamp.

i've been with the vifa xt18 for a while and find it smooth detailed but lacks in dynamics a bit and transparency.

which of the mid would be a good step further ATC or AT?
    cause i don't want to necessarly be in appolito,which i am now...that gives me another question,does appolito WMTMW advantage the stage depth,width,space,3d,other than standard TMWW?

awsome work by the way!

AUDIA8MAN, Aug 16, 2008
  9. ShinOBIWAN

Tenson Moderator

I think for a dynamic sound you want the ATC. Low level listening or not. Or you could try a meaty compression driver and horn?

Tenson, Aug 16, 2008
  10. ShinOBIWAN

AUDIA8MAN

OK good i'm going with the atc,but what about appolito is it an advantage compared to standard listening?my room is 38' x 13' x 7' so my listen is at about 9' so i have lots of room left behind me and that's if i keep and equalateral triangle from the speakers.

AUDIA8MAN, Aug 16, 2008
  11. ShinOBIWAN

Tenson Moderator

I don't think there is much advantage in D'appolito design. All it does is narrow vertical dispersion. IT has some use in transient accurate 2nd order xovers to give symmetrical dispersion, but there are few cases where these are practical.

I'd go for a TMW arrangement and build a 4th order phase aligned xover. I'd also probably use the Seas-27TBCD-DXT tweeters and xover at 2.5KHz. Best dome tweeters on the planet... and I have a pair if you want to buy them! I just had to have a pair, but now I have nothing to use them in lol!

Tenson, Aug 16, 2008
  12. ShinOBIWAN

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

Shin, you'd be surprised how cheap you can get modelling foam blanks made up and cnc'd. Then just slap em with glass and epoxy on the outside and melt the insides away with polyester.

If you want a decent negative then that can be expensive but there's many ways to skin that cat.

sq225917, Aug 16, 2008
Ask a Question