Law of diminishing returns

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Jackthebiscuit, Jun 24, 2003.

1. Jackthebiscuit

Jackthebiscuit Allrise

What are peoples views on when the law of diminishing returns kicks in, and do you agree that more often than not, you end up having to pay, say 90% more for that last 10%'s worth of performance?

Jackthebiscuit, Jun 24, 2003
  2. Jackthebiscuit

johnhunt recidivist

It's a factor. Once you've reached a certain point like

speakers 2.5K retail
    amp 2.5K retail
    cdp 1.5K retail
    etc. etc.

you've got to go to silly money to get any worth while improvement (IMHO). This is where cables, mains conditioning,racks rooms,treatments,tt mods,carts and all the other stuff that is endlessly discussed becomes the only realistic opportuntiy for an upgrade for many and I include myself in that.

John

johnhunt, Jun 24, 2003
  3. Jackthebiscuit

michaelab desafinado

I'd agree with you John. I've done the mains conditioning, power cables thing and a tried various isolation tweaks and don't particularly care to go "to the next level", tweak wise.

I do think I can get a worthwhile improvement in my source and amp though so those are both on the schedule to be upgraded, but not for silly money - £2-3K at most (each). Beyond that point, I really do think dminishing returns kick in with a vengeance.

I'd love to compare a £15K system with a £100K system just to see how big the difference was though.... :p

Michael.

michaelab, Jun 24, 2003
  4. Jackthebiscuit

julian2002 Muper Soderator

i'd say that if you are careful then useful gains can be had up to about 10k for the complete system or about 2k per component.
    i.e
    cdp, pre, power, speakers, wire.

after that diminishing returns really starts to kick in and your even encounter stuff that does a few things absolutely amazingly but loses the plot on others.

of course buying 2nd hand can skew things a bit but on new stuff i'd say that's my view.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jun 24, 2003
  5. Jackthebiscuit

auric FOSS

John,

You could well be right - but first why not try

cdp 2.5K retail
    amp 2.5K retail
    speakers 1.5K retail
    etc. etc. and see if things get a little better.

I think you have correctly outlined the symptoms associated with the all too common complaint of the Hi-Fi Fetish and the more time spent visiting this and other related fora the worse the trouble becomes.

The only cure I can think of is to have no contact with hi-fi (either kit or forum members) for a period of a month or so and the see how you feel at the end of the period. It might help - you can never tell.

Auric:)

auric, Jun 24, 2003
  6. Jackthebiscuit

johnhunt recidivist

auric

The value's i used are close to my own system but I take your point about the loudspeakers , they are a bit ott. as for the cdp we all know that cdp's beyond 1K all sound the same. although throwing more money at a tt is good fun and can be worthwhile:)

John

johnhunt, Jun 24, 2003
  7. Jackthebiscuit

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Mike proberly near the £25K mark I feel, some of the differences will be fairly large, others you will feel hardly any at all on first listen, however a 'Live with' comparision is requires for about week or so, then go back and re-evaluate, some system can be hugely different, however the vast majority are poorly set up and are not giving the full potential. WM

wadia-miester, Jun 24, 2003
  8. Jackthebiscuit

lowrider Live music is surround

I had started a similar thread in GH, my point was that after testing the new TAG processor, I cannot live with the old one... :(

So I would say it depends, if you test both without experience, the difference in cost cannot be justified, but if you live with the lesser product, then buy the better one, the improvement will feel much greater, and, IMHO, justify the cost... :MILD:

lowrider, Jun 24, 2003
  9. Jackthebiscuit

Robbo

In my view, the higher up the ladder you go, the more difficult it is to get the best out of the system, and system setup becomes more crucial. All too easily, diminishing returns kick in with a vengeance.

Often a well set up £10K system (with mains, supports and cables taken care of) will give better sound quality than a £25K+ system which is not fully optimised.

FWIW, my advice : Get the basics right before box swapping! The good thing is that the basics dont need to be horrendously expensive either :D

Cheers, Robbo

Robbo, Jun 24, 2003
  10. Jackthebiscuit

auric FOSS

3 month or 3 years. . your choice

If I think back to the 80's when I brought my first set of Linn + Naim kit the bill came to about 3 months gross salary. During the sales demos I had the chance to listen to some systems valued at up to nearly 3 years gross salary.

So, how did these systems compare?
    Well they sounded different and so they should - I liked all of them.

Do I now aspire to a system valued at almost 3 years gross salary?
    No, but if someone brought me one I'd be happy to use it.

I think these wise words from Robbo say it all

Auric:)

auric, Jun 24, 2003
  11. Jackthebiscuit

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Yeah right. Try dividing that by 5 - 10... :p

PBirkett, Jun 24, 2003
  12. Jackthebiscuit

johnhunt recidivist

paul

if that's where you wanna go i'm sure you'll get there

john

johnhunt, Jun 24, 2003
  13. Jackthebiscuit

johnhunt recidivist

as for getting the baiscs right I'm the worlds worst. all the kit is stacked in a childproof wooden box. the tt isn't level although , and graham would be proud, the bruckner I'm spinning sounds good enough.

by the my speakers are hard up against the wall and wobble a bit if you nudge them. i am a disgrace

johnhunt, Jun 24, 2003
  14. Jackthebiscuit

PBirkett VTEC Addict

John, already there

Paul :MILD:

PBirkett, Jun 24, 2003
  15. Jackthebiscuit

johnhunt recidivist

good

johnhunt, Jun 24, 2003
Ask a Question