Lead free solder

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by Graham C, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Graham C

Graham C

When I came to do my speaker project, what with house moves etc - I couldn't find my roll of solder. So I hot foot down to Maplin to find no more Lead/Tin solder. Apparently the EEC doesn't like it.
    This post is a wake up call to anyone who solders electronics. If you can still buy Lead/Tin solder get it now! If you have a roll left, buy the new stuff now, and save your valuable old solder for when it's delicate or important. This new junk has a higher melting point than even Silver solder. I did ask Maplin for the figure, but they haven't answered, but it was obvious by the heat required, and the damage caused while soldering. I've since found a comparison table here:

http://www.boulder.nist.gov/div853/lead free/part2.html# 2.1.1.

Note Maplins is Sn-0.7Cu [227°C], and old 60/40 solder melts at 188°C

Graham C, Mar 29, 2004
  2. Graham C

penance Arrogant Cock

the maplin lead free is naff
    but there are better lead free solders about:)

penance, Mar 29, 2004
  3. Graham C

Graham C

But it's a secret, right??

Graham C, Mar 29, 2004
  4. Graham C

penance Arrogant Cock

nope

but i'll have to wait until i return to work next week before i can find out what brand they have taken on

penance, Mar 29, 2004
  5. Graham C

Lt Cdr Data om

I have it from John Caswell, the world audio valve expert that you should use a 40 watt soldering iron, and he uses just multicore.

But there is some stuff from tandy I really liked, it was just tin and 4% silver in a small tube for about £2, it melted and ran beautifully and made nice joints. Dunno what its like with a 12 watt iron tho'

Anyone tried the far eastern stuff from maplin, the tin and silver? in the big roll? any good? Is this the stuff you mean?

I have a big roll of maplin lead and tin, and don't like it.

My brother has a big roll of RS, and its good.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2004
    Lt Cdr Data, Mar 31, 2004
  6. Graham C

Graham C

The old Maplin Lead/Tin has an agressive flux, because it's for DIY. I always found it OK. Solder for industry will typically be less powerful flux, to leave less residue, because they are soldering under controlled conditions [eg new parts, thermostat irons]. I always clean joints after I solder.

I agree about low powered irons, I have always used a 25w, but I would happily use a bigger one - just try soldering out of doors to see the heat dissappear! You could probably solder valve amps with a blowtorch without that much damage. The people who will have problems are those mucking about with surface mount consumer equipment etc.
    Tandy no longer exists, but lots of people sell Silver solder. It also has a much higher melting point than 60/40.

Graham C, Apr 2, 2004
  7. Graham C

Lt Cdr Data om

I still call it tandy, it radioshag, now.

Lt Cdr Data, Apr 3, 2004
Ask a Question