Lentek integrated

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Gromit, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Gromit

Gromit Buffet-blower

Anyone remember this monster? I seem to recall it receiving very favourable reviews some years ago, but heard nothing since - I know it's no longer available but some stuff often keeps cropping up.

Just that I've currently got my eye on one ;)

Gromit, Jun 7, 2004
  2. Gromit

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

The Lentek amp was around during the late 70s early 80s. They were the pre runner to the Audiolab 8000 amp. I think the amp was designed by Derek Scotland who, along with Philip Swift went on to form Audiolab. I think Lentek when belly up in the early 80s. I am sure they made speakers as well. It was quite a flexible amp like the Audiolab was. It had quite a few inputs & you could use it as a pre or a power amp.

I do remember it was used by some reviewers & was a powerful beast. No idea how it compares with todays stuff but I understand there will be a write up in next month's HI-FI +.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Jun 7, 2004
  3. Gromit

Gromit Buffet-blower

Thanks - I wondered if the Lentek had Audiolab connections, the amp does look somewhat similar, down to the design of switches etc.

Gromit, Jun 7, 2004
  4. Gromit

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

I borrowed a second hand Lentek from a dealer back in the 80s. It was a beautifully built heavy thing with a lot of flexibility and looked really cool, but it was completely lifeless and sterile sounding compared to a Nait 1. The differences were huge, I really wanted to like the Lentek as it was a far more expensive amp and had such great build, but the Nait simply killed it from any sonic perspective you care to use.

I didn't realise the Lentek and Audiolab kit came from the same stable, but thinking about it the sound was very similar (i.e. boring, lifeless and shut-in – I never rated the 8000A at all). The amp I finally bought was a Onix OA21. I had the OA21 for a good few years, a true giant killer of an amp!

The unsung heroes of the integrated amp market from that period are the Onix, Myst, Inca Tech and the Nytech 252, and never overlook the original A&R A60 (I'd put money on one totally humiliating a Lentek and they can be found s/h for about 50 quid!).

Tony.

TonyL, Jun 7, 2004
  5. Gromit

Gromit Buffet-blower

Tony - you and I must have very similar tastes.

I'd agree 100% re the Audiolab observations - could never see what the fuss was about myself. I have a friend with the OA21 and SOAP psu - it sounds quite superb; bit like a Nait but with a sh*tload more oomph.

If the Lentek is Audiolab-generic I think I'll now pass on the idea. ;)

The Nytechs - Walrus had an old CTA252 sat in their shop recently, lovely little tuner/amp that doubles as a great desktop cash register (ever reckoned it needs a receipt roll coming out the top??) ;)

Nice A60 in eBay at the moment. :)

Gromit, Jun 7, 2004
  6. Gromit

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

I've got a near mint boxed teak case one stashed away in a cupboard - its my 'back-up' amp. A great idea in theory, but I'd have to spend ages with a soldering iron to use the damn thing again as since I moved away from Naim as I haven't got any DIN leads anymore! I've had it driving my current Harbeth C7s and it is a cracking little amp, not quite as good as a Nait 2 or my current Densen Beat, but not as far behind as most people would expect.

Tony.

TonyL, Jun 7, 2004
  7. Gromit

Accordian

I have had a Lentek amp for approx 16 years (I also have a spare!) and have never found anything that I could afford which sounded better. I borrowed an Audiolab 8000A from a Hi-Fi shop a few years ago but wasn't impressed. When I returned the Audiolab, I was asked if I woul take th Lentek in for a listening session. The staff agreed that it was far superior to the Audiolab and I woul need to spend £2000+ to better it.

I have the original box, manual and even the (printed) hand drawn circuit diagrams and servicing information.

If you are interested, there is a Lentek on Ebay at the moment (currently at £200 - was £400) and is in Southampton.

Dave

Accordian, Jul 6, 2004
  8. Gromit

Mardler

Dave, I had the same response from a top hi-fi shop, except they said £3k.

23 years experience and when bought the Lentek trounced the NAIM 32/150, IMHO an overrated splashy and unrealistic sounding amp. The Lentek is, by & large, transparent but that doesn't sit well with anyone who wants an "in yer face" hi-fi sound. But what do I know, I also bought a Beta video recorder coz it replayed pix better!

Best hi-fi sound heard so far - Krell/Magnaplanar, Studer studio CD player.

Mardler, Jul 8, 2004
  9. Gromit

RADCOM

I'm quite new here so Hello to everyone. I acquired one of these in the early eighties, I haven't used it very much since then. I would really appreciate a copy of the manual and the schematics. I was under the impression it was worth a bit more because it was a limited edition; list price when it was discontinued was £850.

RADCOM, Nov 21, 2004
Ask a Question