Leonhardt's couperin

Discussion in 'Classical Music' started by Rodrigo de Sá, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Rodrigo de Sá

Rodrigo de Sá This club's crushing bore

We have talked about this earlier. Great record.

Rodrigo de Sá, Feb 9, 2006
  2. Rodrigo de Sá

bat Connoisseur Par Excelence

Are Coup's organ masses any good?

bat, Feb 14, 2006
  3. Rodrigo de Sá

I find them rather boring, but there are good moments. His harpsichord production is by far superior

Rodrigo de Sá, Feb 16, 2006
  4. Rodrigo de Sá

sn66

Looks good, but I may have to put off getting it for a while. Will be in Asia for at least a year and am uncertain if Amazon Germany would deliver there, and if they did, whether it would be complicated. Have not been able to find the above disc here.

Just thought I'd mention a Leonhardt recording of the works of another Couperin ie, Louis Couperin's harpsichord suites on DHM. A superb interpretation, played with great understanding and touch.

Skip Sempe has also recorded Louis Couperin on Alpha and if possible, this is even better than the above. Outstanding technique and even though he plays it fast, it is far from superficial. In fact, it is a very commanding performance played on a wonderfully sonorous instrument. Makes me wish I could find Sempe's earlier recordings of Francois Couperin and Chambonnieres. They don't seem to be available anymore.

sn66, Feb 23, 2006
  5. Rodrigo de Sá

Anyone heard Noëlle Spieth's Couperin?

bat, Feb 24, 2006
  6. Rodrigo de Sá

No? I have her first Couperin record - it is excellent in every way.
    About Couperin: first I thought that Couperin is just exploring the scales, while the other hand accompanies. But there is beauty, there is invention, if not always great inspiration.
    Must listen more... is Couperin "le grand" or just another baroque composer???
    Btw, I read that Angela Hewitt is recording complete Couperin - on piano. Of all composers.

bat, Mar 1, 2006
  7. Rodrigo de Sá

Look deeper. A very profound composer, if extremely understated.

Yes, but it works! Now who would have said that?

Rodrigo de Sá, Mar 1, 2006
  8. Rodrigo de Sá

sn66

I have not heard Noelle Spieth's Couperin; have listened to Kenneth Gilbert, Olivier Baumont and Christophe Rousset, and would say that Rousset is the most consistently excellent. Gilbert is really good but the recordings, done in the early 70's, are not the best in terms of sound. Baumont receives a better recording and his Third Book is quite well-played. Although he sometimes overphrases and can sound jerky at times, some of the slower pieces have a languid and introverted beauty about them. Rousset, in comparison, is very extroverted and fantastical without sounding at all superficial. Unlike Baumont, who sometimes embellishes the repeats, Rousset follows Couperin's instructions regarding ornamention strictly. The Fourth Book, which is probably my favourite, is played by Rousset to perfection. He captures everything that Couperin has to offer with sensitive and beautifully-judged performances.

How does Spieth compare to them? And has anyone heard Blandine Verlet's, Scott Ross's and Blandine Rannou's Couperin?

Regards.

sn66, Mar 7, 2006
  9. Rodrigo de Sá

pe-zulu

Sn66,

If the recorded sound of Gilbert's Couperin set were better, would you still recommend Rousset as a first choice? If you would, it is decisive for me.

Noelle Spieth hasn't recorded much, and I don't know her Couperin, but I own a very fine CD with harpsichord works of Weckmann, she made more than ten years ago. Strongly recommended in this neglected repertoire.

pe-zulu, Mar 7, 2006
  10. Rodrigo de Sá

sn66

Dear pe-zulu,

Rousset and Gilbert have very similar styles, especially in the French repertoire, with Rousset generally adopting faster tempos. Although I enjoy Rousset's Bach very much, I think his recordings of d'Anglebert, Rameau (I have not heard his Royer) and Francois Couperin are among the most impressive harpsichord recitals around. Even if Gilbert's Couperin had been recorded better, I would still maintain that Rousset has surpassed him. Especially in Francois Couperin, whose music is among the most elusive to understand and play. Even his extrovert pieces have great depths and his slower ones, like Les Ombes Errants, are so understated yet sublime that it is sometimes hard to understand how some people could consider Couperin's music lite and frivolous.

Regards.

sn66, Mar 8, 2006
  11. Rodrigo de Sá

Spieth has actually recorded quite a lot, complete Rameau and Couperin for instance.

bat, Mar 8, 2006
  12. Rodrigo de Sá

pe-zulu

Sorry, I wasn't aware of Noelle Spieth's complete F. Couperin cycle, which never has been available in my country. Unfortunately it is, as far as I can see, out of print, and the same is true of the complete Rousset and Gilbert cycles. Anyone who knows better?

pe-zulu, Mar 8, 2006
  13. Rodrigo de Sá

French online shops have the Spieth 10-CD set for about 99 Euros

bat, Mar 9, 2006
  14. Rodrigo de Sá

Check out Davitt Moroney's Couperin record, too

bat, Apr 1, 2006
  15. Rodrigo de Sá

sn66

Francois or Louis? I have not come across any Moroney recordings of Francois Couperin; he has, however, recorded the complete Louis Couperin, which I haven't heard and seems to be no longer available.

Managed to get Skip Sempe's early recordings of Francois Couperin and Chambonnieres on dhm, courtesy of my sister in Los Angeles. Simply superb and inspired playing, recorded with great fidelity. Although he is a great continuo player, he should make more solo records.

sn66, Apr 13, 2006
  16. Rodrigo de Sá

Masolino

I also knew of Moroney's complete Louis Couperin and didn't buy it when I saw it the last time. Alas! :( But in compensation I bought Blandine Verlet's set but have not listened to it carefully yet. My first impression is that some of it seems to be kind of soft and indistinct interpretatively. Did I make a bad choice in getting the Verlet Louis Couperin? :confused:

ps. I am listening to a Louis Couperin organ recital recorded by Jan Wilem Jansen and found the music (or the French instrument, or the interpretation?) engrossing.

Masolino, Apr 13, 2006
  17. Rodrigo de Sá

pe-zulu

Wellcome here, Masolino.

Yes, I think that Couperin/Jansen recording is marvellous, played with authority and imagination, allowing the solemn dignity of these (alas all too short) pieces to appear in full.

Regards,

pe-zulu, Apr 13, 2006
  18. Rodrigo de Sá

Moroney's Francois Couperin record was released 1987.

bat, Apr 13, 2006
  19. Rodrigo de Sá

pe-zulu

Which label?

pe-zulu, Apr 13, 2006
  20. Rodrigo de Sá

Masolino

Thank you kindly. :)

I think it's harmonia mundi, musique d'abord 1901124/27 (4CDs, harpsichord works) Tempéraments 316001/03 (3 CDs, organ works)

Masolino, Apr 13, 2006
Ask a Question