Less is more?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by michaelab, Nov 19, 2004.

1. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

As I mentioned on a couple of threads recently I bought a little DAC on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5727978853

I finally got my hands on it today after having to go down to the customs depot in person to fill out the customs clearance paperwork and pay the duty and VAT (it came from Hong Kong). Portugal is still knee deep in bureaucracy when it comes to these things :rolleyes:

Here are a couple of pics:

The guts:
    [​IMG]

The rear 'panel":
    [​IMG]

It's a non oversampling, output filterless DAC. It doesn't even have a clock. It's just a CS8412 digital input receiver (the big chip) and the old Philips TDA1543 16bit DAC (the tiny chip). Even the output stage is passive as the TDA1543 output is a high enough level to not require a separate output stage. It's all housed in a nice acrylic (non-magnetic) case.

It cost me about £100. It probably cost about £20 to make. The principles and most of the parts are the same as in the £1500 47 Labs Shigaraki 4715 DAC :) . See here for Ryohei Kusunoki's explanation of why non-OS DACs should sound better.

So, I had a quick listen this evening and have to say I'm very, very impressed. Is it better than the DAC64? Well, yes, in many ways it is :eek: .

I have to do some more comparisons and more listening over the w/e and then I'll talk more about the sound and how it compares to the DAC64.

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 19, 2004
  2. michaelab

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Ah the old 'better than' chestnut, so basically you own a bit of plastic and two chips and it sounds better than something else.

Well yes it would, wouldn't it ha ha.

garyi, Nov 19, 2004
  3. michaelab

Dev Moderator

OK, OK, I'll give you £100 for your DAC64. I think it's very generous considering your new £100 DAC is better.

So, I'll PM you my address, when can you deliver?

Dev, Nov 19, 2004
  4. michaelab

johnhunt recidivist

give him a break , after all it could be an apple

johnhunt, Nov 19, 2004
  5. michaelab

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Cute.

More like a lemon though...

garyi, Nov 19, 2004
  6. michaelab

Dev Moderator

Joking aside, I wouldn't be surprised if Michael (and/or anyone else) prefers the cheaper DAC. It's all a matter of personal preference after all.

Dev, Nov 19, 2004
  7. michaelab

oedipus

It's more a matter of all DAC's sounding the same, notwithstanding the vivid imaginations of their owners who have been brainwashed by the mag's and customer testimonials (based on the mags).

Here, we go again :)

oedipus, Nov 19, 2004
  8. michaelab

stickman

To the aurally (is that a word?) impaired?

stickman, Nov 19, 2004
  9. michaelab

Paul Ranson

It would be interesting to see the output waveforms and spectra of this DAC.

And since it's dependent on downstream electronics for reconstruction it may well sound different. And variable from equipment to equipment. The possibilities of confusion with Michael's switching power amp are legion, although perhaps the passive pre rolls every thing off?

Anyway I presume 'oedipus' hasn't read the linked article.

Paul

Paul Ranson, Nov 19, 2004
  10. michaelab

oedipus

You're right, I hadn't. But now that I have, it seems like a bad piece of design for the reasons you stated.

I'd still wager that none of this is audible however - well unless the crap it's letting through takes out a tweeter :)

oedipus, Nov 20, 2004
  11. michaelab

oedipus

Haven't you got some main's cable's you should be listening to? :)

oedipus, Nov 20, 2004
  12. michaelab

sideshowbob Trisha

Having switched from a DAC64 to a 47 Labs DAC using a circuit that Michael's is cloned from, it's clear to me that: (a) for whatever reason, this DAC sounds different to other DACs and CD players (I've previously been in the "basically it all sounds the same" camp; and (b) it sounds much more like real live instruments than any other DAC or CD player I've owned, with none of the somewhat artificial smoothness most modern CD players seem to have, and none of the badger's arse roughness many older CD players seem to have.

I think it does things no other CD player I've owned ever has. It's very natural sounding, and very direct. Anyone who puts a premium on timbral accuracy should either build or buy one and see what they make of it. If you listen to acoustic music I'd be surprised if you didn't find it deeply impressive.

-- Ian

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2004
    sideshowbob, Nov 20, 2004
  13. michaelab

joel Shaman of Signals

Make that closer to $800 out here in the real world.

joel, Nov 20, 2004
  14. michaelab

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Of course, one can do entirely without the DAC and have a PCM => PWM conversion for your switching amp...

I-S, Nov 20, 2004
  15. michaelab

joel Shaman of Signals

Which then has to convert the signal into the analogue domain for it to go to the speakers. That sounds like a good idea.

joel, Nov 20, 2004
  16. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

Paul - I don't have the equipment to record/display the output waveforms or spectra of the DAC. I might know a man who does though so I'll see what I can do.

From what I know about my passive pre and the transformers it uses it doesn't have any rolloff in the audio band. In fact it's response is pretty flat well beyond the audio band:

http://www.stevens-billington.co.uk/page102.htm

(scroll down the page for freq. response graph).

I'm not quite sure why there should be "confusion" with my switching power amp. The waveform doesn't require re-construction, it is what it is. OK, it will have a lot of ultra-sonic components but we can't hear those anyway. The ear does the filtering (at least that's the idea).

I don't want to say too much more about the sound until I've listened to it some more but my initial impressions are along the lines that Ian described.

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 20, 2004
  17. michaelab

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

The area that the Ultra-sonic hash may cause problems is with SS amps with bandwidth limiting. The extra hash can cause the amp to oscillate, you won't even hear there is a problem until the transistors blow. However this is very hit and miss and is usually dependant on the design of the amps. Valves won't suffer from this problem, but am interested why digital ones also appear to be OK (seen this else where as well as with Michael and Ian)

BTW I have a spare cd8412 if any one wants to try from scratch.

LiloLee, Nov 20, 2004
  18. michaelab

Dexter

Preview of Michael's new avatar

Hmmm...not quite the same impact, wot?! :D

Dexter, Nov 20, 2004
  19. michaelab

merlin

You've gotta say Joel, converting PCM to PWM to analogue does theoretically seem neater than converting PCM to analogue, analogue to PWM, then PWM to analogue. After all, less is more :)

How do these things sound with Dub & Dance music BTW? I've heard critisisms that they are a tad lightweight - any thoughts?

merlin, Nov 20, 2004
  20. michaelab

Kit

That's a very nice looking dac, like something you might pick up at a posh minimalist lifestyle store. The one nearest mes is called Utility.

No problems with weight with my 8412/1543 clone, Merlin. My system is in a small room with the speakers almost touching the sidewalls, but the sound is the same through headphones. An inappropriate powersupply (KISS seems the best philosophy here) or I/V resistor can cripple the sound though.

The crashing dynamics and very strong presence make dub sound particularly good.

Kit, Nov 20, 2004
Ask a Question