Light Controlled Passive Volume

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by alanl, Oct 19, 2004.

1. alanl

alanl

Hi,

I would like to show off my latest DIY project a Light controlled passive volume control using Light dependant resistors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its very simple, the only small problem is that the lowest volume is not zero.

[​IMG]

By far the best sounding type of volume control i've used so far. More detail to follow.

The LDR part numbers NORP 12 Light Dependent Resistor. RS Components part number 651-507

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2004
    alanl, Oct 19, 2004
  2. alanl

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Interesting...

No doubt sealing the box to make it light tight is an important factor, and equally maintaining the brightness of the LED to a fine degree (ie low noise on the LED supply)...

Does it skip when you take flash photos? :p

I-S, Oct 19, 2004
  3. alanl

michaelab desafinado

There's at least one manufacturer that uses a similar system in the top of the range (and astronomically expensive) amps. I remember reading about it in one of the mags but I can't remember the name of it now :(

As long as the lowest volume is pretty low then it's not really a problem. I have the same issue with my transformer based passive pre but it's not a problem.

Michael.

michaelab, Oct 19, 2004
Ask a Question