Linn Intek + Yamaha NS-10m monitors

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by nimhbus, Sep 12, 2006.

1. nimhbus

nimhbus

Hi there,
    I have a linn intek, owned since new, and i use it in my studio as a monitor amp with some yamaha ns-10m's.

lately the speakers/amp sound crackly and give intermittent sound.

because the amp volume knob was cracking and causing drop-outs, i opened up the amp and sprayed it with contact cleaner etc.

seemed to help a bit, but i still get problems with one or other of the speakers cutting out.

the speakers are 4 ohm impedance, am i correct in thinking the Linn is 8 ohm? could this be the root of the problem?

any other ideas much appreciated.

cheers
    james

nimhbus, Sep 12, 2006
  2. nimhbus

zanash

I'd think you need to keep cleaning the pot do it four or five times vigerously rotating the vol knob...[unpluged of course]

zanash, Sep 12, 2006
  3. nimhbus

RobHolt Moderator

The Linn amp is perfectly capable of driving a 4 ohm load so just follow zanash' tip and you should be fine.

RobHolt, Sep 12, 2006
  4. nimhbus

zanash

If that fails it could be you need a new volume pot .....is your studio damp ?

zanash, Sep 13, 2006
  5. nimhbus

enbee23

I had an Intek many moons ago, it's still going strong in a mate's system today.

The Intek has a thermal cutout so would have shut it self down if it was anywhere near hurting itself. The 4ohm speakers are almost certainly not the problem.

As said above, more elbow grease on the pot! I experimented with my Intek, running it as a pre and as a power with various different components and the preamp section was definitely a little behind in terms of transparency and graininess. If it turns out that you do need a new pot, the amp would respond well to some judicious tweakery in that area while you're under the bonnet!

enbee23, Sep 13, 2006
Ask a Question