Linn Keilidh Active (aktiv) - 2x 2ch power amp recommendations please

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by FluffUser, Mar 28, 2004.

1. FluffUser

FluffUser

I'm looking for your recommendations for 2x 2-ch power-amps with equal gain. My budget is £500-£900 new or s/h.

I just bought some Linn Aktiv crossover upgrade modules to allow me to active bi-amp my late-spec Linn Keilidh speakers. These dual-mono cards fit straight in to Linn Klout, LK240, 5105, LK100 and a few other Linn power amplifiers.

I also bought a Linn Aktiv Crossover Tunebox to house the modules to give me the option of not adopting Linn amps or the later Linn amps like the Linn LK85 LK140 which would otherwise require a different type of Aktiv stereo crossover modules.

I'm looking for your recommendations for a pair of power-amps, which must have equal gain, but don't have to be identical, as I'll be using 2-channels for mid/bass and 2-channels for treble.

I currently run an active subwoofer, and high-pass bass manage the main speaker feeds, so sub-bass ability isn't critical for the front main power-amps.

Once the Keilidh's have their 4-ohm passover crossovers disconnected, the drivers are 8-ohms each. I should imagine I won't need a lot of Watts per-channel at all, i.e. 50W x2 per channel > 120W via passive speaker crossovers. I'm looking for low-distorsion, clarity, enjoyment and the follow-the-tune type thing.

I currently have a Denon THX Ultra 2-ch power-amp which I could use.
    a) I could sell this to fund the replacement power-amps or
    b) Buy another for £200-£330, which gets me the 4-channels I need, but I'm not sure how truly low-distorsion it is at normal listening levels, plus, I don't need 125W x2 before clipping per channel surely?

c) Linn LK100's are apparently well made and look relatively good value at about 2x £300 now, but are older models and discontinued, and prices do seem to have surged lately. I can then get some cash back on perhaps selling the Tunebox, although then I can never upgrade the active amps again, so I'd probably keep it just in case.

d) Another option is a 4 or 5-channel power-amp, such as the Parasound HCA-1205A 5 x 140 watt power amp at about £870. The Home Theater/Mar 1988 review shows THD+N to be 0.01% flat up to about 90W, all 5-channels driven. Which sounds like a GoodThing(tm). I just don't know how it'll really compare to a pair of hi-fi lower-powered power-amps?

I did find a Home Cinema choise review of a Linn AV5125 5-channel amp. Power output:140.6W into 8ohms (1kHz 0.99% THD); 230.8W into 4ohms (1kHz 0.32% THD)
    Fidelity firewall:132.8W into 8ohms (1kHz 0.05% THD)
    Distortion: 0.006% @ 50W (1kHz, 8ohms)
    Which on paper is 60% of the Parasounds distortion at 50W.

I'd ideally prefer something secondhand as I'm less likely to lose as much money on it if it doesn't match my taste long-term. Then again, I'd like this to be in-place for 8 years or more.

Apparently going with Active Crossovers makes it easier and more efficient for each amp channel to control the speaker drivers, in addition to the improved crossover and phase alignment.

I think getting an Active 4-channel demo in my room with my speakers would be very difficult, no?

Thanks for any experience, suggestions or comments.
    regards,
    Rob.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2004
    FluffUser, Mar 28, 2004
  2. FluffUser

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

I think the LK140 is clearly better than a LK100, and even the LK85 is a bit better too. Since you have a sub, one option is to get a LK85 for the bass and an LK140 for the treble. The much older LK280s would work too - I think they are about on a par with a 140 or even slightly better.

The 5125 is a great value 5-channel but might be outside your budget. If you could find one in your budget, that would give best sound, but remember the box is bigger, doesn't match LKs. I wouldn't pay much attention to the distortion figures - the 5125 and and above are great amps.

SteveC, Mar 28, 2004
  3. FluffUser

FluffUser

Thanks Steve,
    You certainly have some Linn experience there.

I guess having internal active cards means you've never compared to other active bi/tri amp playback chains?

regards,
    Rob.

FluffUser, Mar 29, 2004
  4. FluffUser

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

No, sorry, can't help you there. There's a 5125 on ebay at the mooment.

SteveC, Mar 29, 2004
Ask a Question