Long Interconnects & short speaker cable or vice-versa?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Commited, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Commited

Commited

Hi,

Just want to get some opinions/facts on what cable configuration I should go for. My setup is a Pre/2xPower (bi-amping each speaker), and the speakers are about 2.5metres from the hifi rack.
    So, should I:

- Place the poweramps beside the speakers and go with long interconnects, and short speaker cable.
    - Place the poweramps on the rack and have very short Interconnects and long speaker cables.

Cables are DIY (cat5 speaker cable & planned Type-6 Token ring based I/C's).

Cheers
    Mark

Commited, Jan 19, 2006
  2. Commited

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

The first is better IMO&E

SteveC, Jan 19, 2006
  3. Commited

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

Much depends on gear.

If you use single ended connections (RCA Jacks) and mains powered gear it pays to minimise interconnect length and to make sure ALL items connected to the system are powered from one (well implemented - as in low impedance, ideally starwired) distribution block via identical length, good quality mains cables. So in this case the interconnects are the more sensitive item when it comes to sound degradation.

If you use propper balanced connections, ideally transformer coupled in either output or input you can use very long cables without problems and surprisingly (or not perhaps) even low quality cable performans pretty well. With the transformer(s) isolating your grounds you can connect the Amplifiers Mains anywhere you like and use very short speaker cables, so in this case it is probably worth using long interconnects. In absence of transformers to break earth/ground loops see above.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Jan 19, 2006
  4. Commited

Commited

The gear is:
    Dodgy DVD transport (to be changed for something like Meridian 200/500)
    DIYParadise Monica 2 DAC 12v
    Simple volume pot in a box type pre-amp until I have my valve pre-amp built.
    2 x DIYParadise Charlize power amps 12v
    Mission 763 speakers (temporary)
    IEC filter in SMPS 12v 10A power supply
    In line filter in extension lead

The Monica & charlizes are going to be supplied by a SMPS 12v 10A power supply which will sit on a shelf beside monica 2.

So the poweramps will have a 12v cord running to them from the power supply.

Does this make the decision any clearer? In a way I would like to use long speaker wire and keep everything together, but in the end, I want to choose what will sound better.

Commited, Jan 19, 2006
  5. Commited

Tenson Moderator

Unless you use balanced connections it is probably better to use long speaker cable as Thorsten said. Remember that the signal levels in speaker wires are much higher so airborne noise will not affect the sound so much. Also the Monica has a low output so it may not like driving long wires very much at all.

Tenson, Jan 19, 2006
  6. Commited

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

> DIYParadise Monica 2 DAC 12v

Output single ended, not much drive, VERY SHORT and VERY LOW CAPACITANCE interconnects are mandatory.

> Simple volume pot in a box type pre-amp

Output single ended, no drive whatsoever, EVEN SHORTER and EVEN LOWER CAPACITANCE interconnects are mandatory.

> 2 x DIYParadise Charlize power amps 12v
    > The Monica & charlizes are going to be supplied
    > by a SMPS 12v 10A power supply which will sit on
    > a shelf beside monica 2.

SE Inputs, so avoid long loops, especially as your SM-PSU is mains driven. As you share the PSU between the Amp's and DAC you share grounds, so again shortest possible interconnects are mandatory, NOT optional.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Jan 19, 2006
  7. Commited

Commited

Righto - so long speaker cables all the way then?

Not a problem as I have enough Cat5 here - I was just looking for the best set up.

As I'm custom making the interconnects, I will be making them as short as possible.

Thanks for all of your help.

Commited, Jan 19, 2006
  8. Commited

Tenson Moderator

I hope you don't mind getting RSI! I made some 3m bi-wire runs of the braided CAT5 stuff and it nearly killed me :O something like 192 wires per speaker.

Tenson, Jan 19, 2006
  9. Commited

Commited

Haha.
    Yeah I'll do it over a few days - I have stuff that can keep me going here!

Commited, Jan 19, 2006
  10. Commited

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

"Much depends on gear"

Well, as was said earlier in the thread, it much depends on the gear, and now that you've clarified your somewhat untypical configuration, you seem to have the right answer. However, other readers of the thread should not conclude this applies to them. Linn, for example, with more typical configuration and their own equipment, recommend longer interconnects and shorter speaker leads, if there has to be an either/or. So if one has a standard-type system I would first recommend one checks if the manufacturer has a specific recommendation.

SteveC, Jan 20, 2006
  11. Commited

Commited

I agree Steve.
    My main confusion came from the fact that my father ran a Meridian pre/power using long interconnects and short speaker cables for many years with good results!
    Yes my configuration is untypical, but hopefully it will pay off!

Commited, Jan 20, 2006
Ask a Question