LP12 + Aro + which cartridge?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Dom_, May 5, 2006.

1. Dom_

Dom_ --->

OK so i have a friend who has the above with an Armageddon. He is undecided as for the cartridge though. He currently has a Music Maker and is looking to spend £1200+ (but not silly money).

As for phono stage he will get something to match the cartridge so no worries there.

All help appreciated :MILD:

Dom_, May 5, 2006
  2. Dom_

RobHolt Moderator

The words 'Aro' and 'Armageddon' usually mean we have Naim system to deal with?
    If so, get a Prefix for the LP12 and try one of the Lyra cartridges. I believe the Lyra Helikon SL is well regarded in the Naim world and is the best of the Lyra range in terms of geometry for the Aro.

At a much lower price (£550) the Dynavector DV17/2 is also a popular choice with the LP12/Aro.

RobHolt, May 6, 2006
  3. Dom_

Dom_ --->

Yep naim amps and sbls in the system.
    Is the prefix really good enough for an expensive cartridge, as its not an expensive phono stage.

Dom_, May 6, 2006
  4. Dom_

RobHolt Moderator

Oh yes, very good indeed.
    Remember that the Prefix is just a simple pcb with a handful of components - you have to add a Flatcap, Hicap or Supercap so the minimum cost is around £1000.

It makes sense to use a Naim phono stage in an all Naim set-up. The prefix also sits inside the LP12 so eliminating the arm cables and providing a very short signal path between the cartridge and stage.

Once you get past the basic <£300 phono stages I find that cost has little relation to performance. There is very little inside the box, so why should it?

Far more to do with topology and component quality than throwing £1000s at it.

RobHolt, May 6, 2006
  5. Dom_

Koi KOI

Hi
    When i had my Linn with Naim Aro, The cartridge i had was Lyra Argo it worked very well

regards

Koi, May 6, 2006
  6. Dom_

Dom_ --->

Brilliant, cheers for your help people.

He is going to look into the lyra range, and as he has a spare hicap the prefix seems like the way to go.

Dom_, May 6, 2006
  7. Dom_

fled

I couldnt diagree more - Naim phono stages are well below par, please demo a Dynavector P75 or a Heed Quaser or a Whest or a Tricord ... the list goes on .... all much much cheaper and much much better than a prifix+hi or even amazingly prefix+supercap. THis applies to an all Naim system.
    Phil

fled, May 12, 2006
  8. Dom_

proteus

I can't recommend enough the synergy between the Aro and a Kontrapunkt B. I have this on my LP12, I have lingo supply as I listen to 45s as well. Add 1 gram of blutack to tracking weight and little touches it...

proteus, May 23, 2006
  9. Dom_

anon_bb Honey Badger

Microgroove plus will demolish the naim phono - even with a supercap.

anon_bb, May 23, 2006
Ask a Question