Lyra Argo and Dorian

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by timnaim, Mar 28, 2006.

1. timnaim

timnaim

If anybody could share their views and experience with either of them with an LP12/lingo/aro.

Thanks

timnaim, Mar 28, 2006
  2. timnaim

RobHolt Moderator

I have an Argo but not the Linn/Lingo/Wibble.
    Happy to share my experience if you want it.

Rob.

RobHolt, Mar 28, 2006
  3. timnaim

lordsummit moderate mod

Likewise I run a Dorian. Very nice too, but no wibbly arm I'm afraid

lordsummit, Mar 28, 2006
  4. timnaim

timnaim

Rob,

Yes fire away

timnaim, Mar 28, 2006
  5. timnaim

RobHolt Moderator

The Argo replaced a Dynavector DV17/2 and is used in an SME4.
    The DV17 was good but the Lyra beats it in every area. It has a very fine tip with a 3um scanning radius which means it has very low tracing distortion on inner grooves and also gives great tonal consistency across the disc.

It errs on the lean and lively side of neutral - just - so if you like the rich weighty presentation of the wood bodied Koetsu models you probably won't warm to the Argo.
    Something you'll notice immediately is the amount of fine detail that is scavenged from the groove but the Argo doesn't just throw the detail at you, or give that false sense of detail created when a cartridge has a rising top end - no this is real information and it's presented in a coherent way. Surface noise is also very low and the LC tip seems able to lessen the the worst effects of old damaged vinyl. The DV17 sounds quite dry and sterile by comparison.

I've used many highly regarded cartridges over the years including the DV17, Linn Troika, Garrott Decca, ATOC9, several Denons...... and the Argo is far superior to any of them.

Rob.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2006
    RobHolt, Mar 28, 2006
  6. timnaim

RobHolt Moderator

Richard, does that mean you have the replacement Dorian? :)

Rob.

RobHolt, Mar 28, 2006
  7. timnaim

lordsummit moderate mod

Yes :)
    I'm now being very careful and have survived two whole weeks without castrating the poor bugger.
    I'm going to give it a while longer before I write about it, I don't think it's had it's 30-50 hours yet I've been very busy, but there'll be a review popping up shortly

lordsummit, Mar 29, 2006
  8. timnaim

HR100MCS

Currently using an Argo and pleased as punch. It replaced a damaged Helikon!!!! Yes, sounds silly but I had upgraded from a Lyra Lydian to a Helikon before my 5 year old son damaged the Helikon. Fortunatley I had an insurance policy that;

a) covered my hi-fi as individual components
    b) was willing to pay :)

I went to my dealer looking for a new Helikon and was advised to listen to the Helikon (£1195) the Argo (£795) and the Transfiguration Spirit Mk3 (£995). To my surprise the Transfiguration was better then the Helikon but I was seriously stunned to hear the Argo out play the Helikon and TS3 in my system. So was my dealer:)!

So, on an insurance job I ended up purchasing the cheapest model - and I was the only one to lose out. My policy would have paid for any of the three cartridges but there was no cash to balance the £350 difference between the two Lyras'. As it happens my dealer agreed with me in terms of sound, he was just surprised I did not exploit my insurance.

Out of interest my turntable was an Original Orbe SE (QC) and my tonearm the SME V.

HR100MCS, Apr 16, 2006
Ask a Question