macromega cdplayer

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by GAZZ, Nov 20, 2003.

1. GAZZ

GAZZ

Can you guys tell me your opinion on a macromega stage one cd player?

GAZZ

GAZZ, Nov 20, 2003
  2. GAZZ

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Do you mean Micromega? :)

technobear, Nov 20, 2003
  3. GAZZ

michaelab desafinado

It might sound like Macromega if you were from South Carolina...well, more like maacromeega :D

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 20, 2003
  4. GAZZ

technobear Ursine Audiophile

LOL :lol:

technobear, Nov 20, 2003
  5. GAZZ

Rory satisfied

philips cdm12 transport things

bit unreliable for me

nice analogness to the sound tho

Rory, Nov 20, 2003
  6. GAZZ

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi Gazz.

The ''stage'' CD players were upgradeable, from stage 1, to 2 and then 3. The sage one retailed at £450 I believe, about 8 years ago.

They also did seperate DACs and transports in identical brushed aluminium cases - with the same designation (1,2,3)

Adam recently a stage 3 DAC I believe, before he changed it for his CAL dac. You might want to PM him?

I recently changed my micromega T-DAC ( this was several levels up from the stage series at the time) to a CAL dac also.

It would be a mistake I believe to say Micromegas have a stereotypical 'analogue sound' in my opinion.

I would say that they are products of their time - detailed, etched, pacey - a bit like an old school Naim sound. Trends have become more open and soundstagey in recent years with CDP sound IMHO. Detractors would say they sound cold and shut in, fans would say its pacey and alive...

They are by and large reliable IMO, but when they do go wrong its a case of shipping them to micromega france - or getting parts from them and getting it done here.. there is no UK importer.

I would say - if you are looking for slam, whack, and general paciness they are a good bet - but if you are after a more defusive less etched and warmer sound - something like an Arcam '9 would be a better second hand bet, or another CDP with a different presentation.

Value wise, I wouldnt pay more than £175 for one.

Hope that helped?

bottleneck, Nov 20, 2003
  7. GAZZ

lAmBoY Lothario and Libertine

agreed (I have a stage5 - with impending doom as it is going to the CDP graveyard in the sky)

lAmBoY, Nov 20, 2003
  8. GAZZ

adam

My Micromega player started life as a stage 1,and i believe them to be exellent players,the transport can be a bit problematic due to wrong grease that was used on them.I think they first hit the market in 1994 and later became stage 4.5.6.

The latter stage 1 finished its life at £550,so i would only pay around £100 for one.

I found the sound of the Micromega to be lush,big,bold and powerful,and very non fatiging,natural.

If the transport is ok,in that it ejects well and reads the disc it wpould make a exellent cheap buy,ive had mine 7 years with no real problems.

I do have a micromega DAC for sale that really elevates the performance of the stage 1,and would take alot of money to find better.

adam, Nov 20, 2003
  9. GAZZ

GAZZ

Yes guys, I did mean Micromega. The reason for asking was there was one for sale in the local rag for £150ono. I thought i'd post here before ringing him up. I think i'll give him a ring and go around for a listen. If i like it i'll have to chop him down to about £110.

GAZZ

GAZZ, Nov 20, 2003
Ask a Question