Mains filter

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by stumblin, Dec 15, 2003.

1. stumblin

stumblin Kittens getting even...

Well, I've taken the plunge and ordered the components for a rudimentray DIY filter/spike suppressor. I've pretty much used the design from TNT-Audio, changed the flavour of a couple of components but kept the principle pretty much the same.

I'm building it in a plug top box which will also become the plug for a mains strip.

Shopping list:

Motor run 440V 8uF 1
    Y2 cap 100000pF 1
    X2 cap 0.1uF 1
    HV Res 1M 4
    Suppressor 250VAC 1
    PSU Box Large 1
    Open Grommet 1

With a grand total of c. £13, compared to £40 for an RA silencer - how they'll compare would be interesting to see, but I'm too tight to buy a silencer to find out...

Hopefully TNT won't mind me re-producing the image here - I'm in no way claiming responsibility for the design attached!

stumblin, Dec 15, 2003
  2. stumblin

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Keep us posted Stumblin, will be interesting to see if it squashes the dynamics in any way, if not then maybe you can shake up r/a's sector a little :) Wm

wadia-miester, Dec 15, 2003
  3. stumblin

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Remember RA do offer their 30 (60?) day MOney back guarantee. May be worth getting one in just for testing after you've finished ;)

MO!, Dec 15, 2003
  4. stumblin

Phill77

I made one a year or so back, thinking that with my PC, telly, etc plugged in nearby I would benefit a lot from it.

Did not make one iota of difference to me, but for around a tenner it was worth a try.

Hope you have better results, to date that is the only bit of diy I have done which I have not been impressed with.

Phill77, Dec 15, 2003
  5. stumblin

Oh poo.

My components arrived in the post today. Well, when I say arrive, they were stuffed behind the drain pipe because no one was in :grrr:. Anyway, they arrived and weren't stolen. Aware that I won't be doing any DIY that night (we had guests, used to be I had friends over but now I live with a woman we have 'guests'), I open the packet anyway to take a quick inventory.

It's all there - good thing. Alas some muppet (ie. me) hadn't check the dimensions of the components so one of the caps is bigger than the enclosure for the whole frikkin filter - bad thing :inferno: . This cap is a big bastard - easily 10 cm tall.

Looks like I'm in the market for a bigger enclosure or smaller cap...

You may now commence LYAO:NADowner:

stumblin, Dec 19, 2003
  6. stumblin

technobear Ursine Audiophile

:newbie:

:ffrc:

( I'd have probably done the same :shame: )

technobear, Dec 19, 2003
  7. stumblin

Chea Johndle Bizarre Serpent Foomaster

Keep the cap... go for the bigger enclosure....

Wot size is the cap....

I have some Plastic boxes which may accomodate the said cap..

Regards

Chea Johndle, Dec 19, 2003
  8. stumblin

I've checked the measurements on the maplin site and it's 75mm long X 35mm diameter. Seemed bigger when I got it out last night (fnar fnar).

stumblin, Dec 19, 2003
  9. stumblin

I'm sure that's not right - I'll measure it tonight. If you do have an appropriate enclosure I'll happily fling a couple of notes your way for it.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2003
    stumblin, Dec 19, 2003
  10. stumblin

OK, this has gone a bit wrong. Seems that knowledge and skill are fleeting, 4 years out of uni and I've lost any electronics accumen I once had.

Being the sensible chap I am, I have aborted this project. I'm not pissing about with mains voltages when I no longer have 100% confidence in my skills.

I shall move from the 'constructor' group back to the 'consumer' group. In fact, I've already gone out and bought an Isotek Cleanline. Is verr nice :D

stumblin, Dec 29, 2003
  11. stumblin

MO! MOnkey`ead!

:lol:

I like your style mate :D

Perhaps a bit of research and help from people on here and such, and get back to it? Would be interesting to see how you found the performance.

MO!, Jan 4, 2004
Ask a Question