Male/Female!

Discussion in 'General Music' started by MO!, Mar 31, 2004.

?

Male/Female?

1. Heavily Male (Lemmy)

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. MOstly Male (Elvis)

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  3. About evens (John Denver)

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. MOstly Female (Norah Jones)

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  5. Heavily Female (Boy George)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Let's argue about stands and cables instead!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Just curious.

What's the male to female ratio as far as musicians who's music you own?

Obviously there's MOre than one member MOst of the time, but as far as the *main* person in the band, I find my collection heavily male dominated.

A rough guesstimate* would be around 80% Male.

Is this similar for MOst? Is it because there's MOre male artists out there? Perhaps labels are MOre willing to help male artists? Or perhaps men are just better musicians?:p

I'd imagine there's MOre male musicians, and if I see unsigned bands local, they're often male.

Is it a case of males are MOre interested in making music in general? Why so? Or is it a male dominated thing and women aren't given an equal chance?

It seems to be the case that the Hifi side of things is heavily male dominated. Is this the case with other aspects of music? Making, Producing, Marketing, Loving, Buying, etc....

There's some great female artists out there. And loads of females who are very much into music, but it does seem quite a bit less than with males.

I'd be interested to know how your music compares M/F. And also any opinions on why?

And try not to turn this into a battle of the sexes thing ;)

*not sure who I read saying guesstimate, but a great word!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2004
    MO!, Mar 31, 2004
  2. MO!

HenryT

Not sure on exact ratios, but yes my music collection is mainly male dominated.

I'm guessing I have about 30-40% classical in my collection, and classical is generally very male dominated, especially in terms of orchestra members and conductors.

When I was at school the ratio of males/females who were interested in playing instruments was about equal, and in fact in most cases in the past I've found more females to be players of instruments. Don't know why, but when you start looking into the pro music world it seems the females do loose out, as if they've fallen by the wayside on the way up - unless they've been able to sleep their way up to the top but is that just me being synical?

HenryT, Mar 31, 2004
  3. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Interesting about it being closer when you were in school. I think this was the case at my schools too. I never took any music lessons in school, but am sure the majority of people who used to carry instruments around in school days were female.

Wonder what changes as they get older?

MO!, Mar 31, 2004
  4. MO!

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

It's probably because women are too busy getting pregnant and redecorating houses to care about music.

Now THAT'S cynical... :)

domfjbrown, Mar 31, 2004
  5. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

You forgot to mention shoes.

Wouldn't have expected anything less Mr Cynical ;)

MO!, Mar 31, 2004
  6. MO!

Bill Phabb

i have mostly male artists but i much prefer female vocalists

Bill Phabb, Mar 31, 2004
Ask a Question