Manchester City Council has gone mad

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, Mar 23, 2005.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

The council are insisting that we now have a wheely bin for garden waste, which will be emptied every two weeks.

This may be a good idea in an area with lots of detached houses, but its mostly terraces houses with smallish gardens here.

It would be more harmful for the environment to produce this bins and empty them (fuel). I also hate to think how much this stupid scheme is costing.

amazingtrade, Mar 23, 2005
  2. amazingtrade

Hex Spurt

Are you getting your bins free? Where I live we have to pay for the priviledge of a garden refuse collection scheme. It's £20 a year and I figure I get more than that back just in the time and fuel I save not driving to the tip.

The garden bin scheme doesn't have to be just for hedge clippings and grass cuttings. All your potato and other vegetable peelings can go to compost, so can used tea bags, coffee grounds, egg shells, newspapers and plain cardboard.

Compostable waste accounts for about 14%-20% of the average 1.5 tons of waste produced by a typical household per year. That's about 200 - 300 kilos of waste per home that could be used productively instead of just ending up in a landfill.

Do your bit for the environment, you know it makes sense :D

Hex

Hex Spurt, Mar 23, 2005
  3. amazingtrade

Bob McC living the life of Riley

will you be able to put dead dogs and cats in it?

bob

Bob McC, Mar 23, 2005
  4. amazingtrade

Hex Spurt

MCC has the rather sinisterly titled Operational Services :eek: to deal with those issues. Of course, there's always Rusholme's Curry Mile as an alternative ;)

Hex Spurt, Mar 23, 2005
  5. amazingtrade

GAZZ

Use it to make compost, just put a few worms in.

GAZZ, Mar 23, 2005
  6. amazingtrade

Even if you use it for compost the bins are quite large and will be a blot on the landscape, it already looks like wheelybin city.

I think these things may be free which means tax payers are paying for it. I wouldn't mind there are many houses that probably could really make use of this, but when people are fly tipping all the time it seems a bit over the top.

7. amazingtrade

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Theres a load of new things coming into aciton here in the Torfaen area. Currently we're on one standard collection a week, and a small box thing for recycling being picked up every 2 weeks. I think the new system will be 2 standard bins being collected weekly.

We try to do a bit, but could certainly do MOre. Hopefully the new system will help to make things easier for lazy gits like me :)

MO!, Mar 23, 2005
  8. amazingtrade

Hex Spurt

I agree that fly tipping is a problem, but it's a drop in the ocean compared to what could be acheived with recycling. Try looking at it from a different perspective.

My county produced about 450,000 tons of refuse in 2002/3. Nearly half of that could have been composted, but in reality we only managed about 10%, but that was still a useful reduction of 50,000 tons that didn't go in to landfills.

Lots of people doing a little bit to help the environment far outweighs the impact of those few who flytip.

Hex Spurt, Mar 23, 2005
  9. amazingtrade

I understand that incinerating rubbish is a major problem to the envroment and these bins may be a good idea, but one per household where I live seems over the top, and you have to look at the manufacture of the vehicles, the bins, and the fuel required to collect them. In reality I am sure most these bins will be 1/3 full if that. Also I cannot see people using them properly. There is a lot of rented houses where I live where trendy professionals rent, these people are often like students in the fact they don't care about the local envrionment they often dump stuff in bins which they are not supposed to.

We also have a paper bin, we have had this for about 2 years now, this however is very very useful, but you always get the odd idiot who decides to stick a bin bag in there.

I am just questioning if this really will help the enivroment or if its just another way for the council to meet their targets.

My mums constantly having to contact the council about people dumping rubbish in the passage at the side of us.

Edit: If people really want to see how bad litter management can get, try visiitng Fallowfield. The students there still don't seem to understand what a bin is, don't they have them south of Stockport?

10. amazingtrade

'don't they have them south of Stockport?'
    What - students or bins?

Bob

Bob McC, Mar 23, 2005
  11. amazingtrade

Both :D The students seem to come up here (Manchester has the highest concentration of the bastards in Europe)

Bins thing is just because all my neigbours always seem to be southern, have a good job and are just staying here until somthing better comes along, so they don't really care about how clean the streets are.

The established residents (i.e the people who own their houses or have long term rents) never seem to dump litter etc. Its not the fact they are southern its the fact they don't live here as such.

OK I have really lived in my area far too long, I consider myself a apart of the furniture now, I am like Ken Barlow, I'll shut up before digging myself into a deeper whole with the lovely southerners on this site :D - Actually they do have advantages, they push up house prices and they tend to be heavy drinkers allowing loads of bars to suddently spring up cater for them.

My dads once of these Southerners by the way (He's from Fulham so he is the worst of the worse :) He's lived in Manchester for all his adult live though so he dosn't count - he knows how to use bins, they taught it them at Manchester Poly.

Sorry :JOEL: The southerners are much nicer than the horrible manc twits you get, I personaly make southerners very welcome providing they use bins :cool:

12. amazingtrade

In France everywhere you go you always find bins in twos. One for biodegradeables and one for none biodegradeables, except in Paris where they welded lids on to all the bins after a few terrorist outrages some years ago. Also if you go to a municipal tip in France you'd be amazed they have specified places for paper, wood, ferrous metal, non ferrous metal, paper, cardboard, tyres, plastic, paint, chemicals, oil and garden refuse. And God help you if Pierre sees you putting something in the wrong skip! They give you a verbal bollocking and remove the offending item and put it in its rightful container.
    I believe in Germany you have to sort your refuse and bin bags are transparent so they can be checked. Don't tell Tony he'll be doing it here next!

Bob

Bob McC, Mar 23, 2005
  13. amazingtrade

Sid and Coke

Up here in NE Fife we have a standard large black wheelie bin for normal rubbish. A brown wheelie bin for compostable garden rubbish and a half sized bright blue wheelie bin for paper and carboard, i imagine that a glass and then plastic's bin is only a matter of time.

The real pisser for me though is the fact that you have to tow your bin out for the binnies and if you forget then it is another week before they will pick it up , which means the spectacle of Sid and Coke placing a large piece of cardboard over his rubbish and then jumping up and down on it to compact it down and squeeze another week out of it. My neighbours at the back (who consider themselves to be a bit posh ) always give me a shake of the head and a disapproving look which i revel in, they don't need to tell me I'm common , i know i am :D

A few years ago when i lived in a different street just around the corner, one of our friends forgot to put her bin out. It was right by her back gate though and so they would have seen it. Even though they where just down the bottom of the road literaly 200 feet away they refused to come back and empty it, they wouldn't even wait for her to fetch it to them. Due to one of these local citizen charters though my wife then phoned up the council to complain that our friends bin was smelly and disturbing us. The same Binny mafia turned up in their truck about 2 hours later and emptied her bin, w@nkers.

Sid and Coke, Mar 23, 2005
  14. amazingtrade

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

beware if your getting new wheelie bins,they maybe spying on you.check under the top bit that sticks out.lefthand side.if theres a black circular disc there lever it out and you may well find a little 20mm disc,a rfid world tag,our council still havnt answered my email asking what their using them for

themadhippy, Mar 23, 2005
  15. amazingtrade

Heavymental

eh?! A rfid world tag? whats that?!

And AT...get in on it...as has aldready been pointed out there's tons of compostable waste that ends up in landfill and in the long term it will be a benefit to recycle it. The manufacture of the bins etc is an issue but they'll last a lifetime and the benefits will be more in the future..the bins may be a blot on your local landscape but better than massive landfills out of town.

Heavymental, Mar 24, 2005
  16. amazingtrade

penance Arrogant Cock

Pre-empting charging by weight. The tags show what house the bin is from and the wagon weighs it when it lifts the bin. Eventualy they will start charging for collection:(

penance, Mar 24, 2005
  17. amazingtrade

Hex Spurt

Do you reckon its so they can start charging for waste disposal by weight - or in Bob's case by the number of dead cats ;)

Hex Spurt, Mar 24, 2005
  18. amazingtrade

Heavymental

ah right...not that sinister then. Still a bummer though and will encourage fly tipping down AT's back alley.

Heavymental, Mar 24, 2005
  19. amazingtrade

penance Arrogant Cock

sounds nasty!!

penance, Mar 24, 2005
  20. amazingtrade

lordsummit moderate mod

You know I would kill for a recycling bin, and one for garden waste. Every couple of weeks I have to go to Tesco's to dispose of the empties, and during the summer I make one or two trips a week to the tip to dispose of garden waste. We live down an unadopted lane and the latest wheeze is that I'm going to have to drag my bin 400 metres to the main road!!!!! I've told the council if that is the case I expect a rebate on my not inconsiderable band E council tax. You know what though I'm not hopeful.

AT you should be glad you've got the chance to do something useful for the environment

lordsummit, Mar 24, 2005
Ask a Question