Marantz CD50SE DIY Mod help please

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by Stevefish69, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Stevefish69

Stevefish69

I have read a fair bit on here and other forums that there are a few easy and simple mods that can be done to improve the sound of a CDP.

I have made up a simple 75 Ohm Jumper for the digital socket.

http://www.diyparadise.com/75ohmtweak.htm

I now have the cover off the old Marantz and am trying to locate the two Muting Transistor that i have also heard can give slight improvement if disconnected.

[IMG]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e93/stevefish69/cd.jpg[/IMG]

Can anyone confirm if the piccie above is indeed pointing to the two Transistors.

There was also another thread recently regarding the CD63 where Bravura pointed out that disconnecting the headphone amp may help.

I know i'm not gonna get miracles from a 17yr old player, but haven't really got a lot to lose by trying

Edit.....The deed is done. I de-soldered them, and will give it a try now :eek:)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2007
    Stevefish69, Mar 25, 2007
  2. Stevefish69

DavidF

........and the result?

(welcome BTW!!) :)

DavidF, Mar 25, 2007
  3. Stevefish69

Stevefish69

Thanks for the welcome.

Well worth the 10 minutes to do the two mods. We should really invest in a new player but just haven't got the funds at the moment after recent upgrades.

The sound seems a lot more airy if thats the word for it. There just sems to be more Presence that i usually get with SACD's Even SWMBO has given the thumbs up :D

Steve

Stevefish69, Mar 25, 2007
  4. Stevefish69

zanash

There's other stuff you can do ....read my generic cd mods in the articles section....

damp the plastic case and try to stiffen it .....

zanash, Mar 26, 2007
  5. Stevefish69

DavidF

....there are gains to be made......:)

DavidF, Mar 26, 2007
  6. Stevefish69

Andy registered grazer

There was a fella on here by the name of Dean.L who modded his own cd50se with good results and should in a good position to help.
    Haven't seen him on here for a while but it might be an idea to send him a private message as he'll get a e-mail notification.
    Worth a try.

Andy, Mar 26, 2007
  7. Stevefish69

dean.l

hello :)

yes I have modded my cd 50 se
    the board you took the transistors off of has been thrown in the bin :)

i think it is the variable output board for the remote, just unplug it and go direct, to see if it sounds better. (I think it did)

I took out the old phono sockets and replaced them with some cheap gold plated ones from ebay, fitted a trichord clock4 with a seperate supply (from an old printer) I damped the entire case with techsound 60 (normally used to damp floors and walls in recording studio's etc) but damping pads used for cars will do.
    I had a few players lying about so I used 2 steel bases and made a sandwich affair with the damping mat.
    you can hit the case now and it sounds like a lump of wood :)

I also fitted an iec mains socket and a lead that had been well used on an old computer :) and removed the muting transistors (I will post a photo of the position and other mods asap)

it sounds far better than standard but I guess it wasn't cheap in the end, due to the clock upgrade etc but I think it was worth it.
    it is very neutral and analog sounding compared to say a cd 63 or cd57 this may be due to the tda 1541a dac chip and no oversampling?

dean.l, Apr 4, 2007
  8. Stevefish69

Stevefish69

Thanks for the info dean.

When you said you removed the board and went direct, do you just disconnect the leads to the board, or is a jumper lead needed to bridge the board.

Also if those were not the muting transistors, then where are they situated on the board.

Thanks again

Steve

Stevefish69, Apr 9, 2007
  9. Stevefish69

dean.l

I just unplugged it (no jumpers) but I may not have exactly the same player, depending on age etc.
    but try it first without doing anything else.
    (it may not make much difference but I figured the least stuff on the board the better to give the transformer an easier time)

I think they were the muting transistors, just they were only for the variable output.

I think I only managed to fine one ? it was right near the other output (direct one)

when I removed it I had popping when I turn the player on and off on both speakers and it sounded better. so I guess there was only the one. ?

I will post picture of all the mods I have done as soon as I can but I don't have a camera so I will have to borrow one :)

dean.l, Apr 9, 2007
  10. Stevefish69

Stevefish69

Thanks for the info dean. The board is now disconnected and the single fixed muting transistor is removed.

Gonna have some subjective listening this afternoon

Stevefish69, May 6, 2007
  11. Stevefish69

dean.l

consider damping/bracing the cabinet too, this made a difference (if only small) for not much cash, worth a try...

try putting some heavy books on top of it this should emulate most of the effect. if you like it, get some stick on damping pads from your local motor factors.
    and then try to brace the internals with some wood or whatever you can find. or do as I did and thicken up the chassis by doubling up on the bottom and back panels.

dean.l, May 6, 2007
  12. Stevefish69

Stevefish69

OK

The CD50 is (was) on its last legs as the laser assembly finally gave up the ghost.

Just picked up a brand spanking new CDM4/19 assembly from Germany for £35 delivered so am very happy. Have had a play with the Focus pot and laser voltage today on the old laser assembly so know where the test points and what the mv's should be.

I'm currently using the CD50 as a transport only with a cheap Beresford DAC and the results are stunning. The CDP as a transport is whipping the arse of anything else i've tried, so hopefully it'll be up and running as new quiet soon.

Does anyone know of a mods page (like the PDF CD52 and 63) thats on the net for the CD50. I'd like to upgrade / renew the Caps in the PSU plus change the diodes in the rectifier. I'll give Dean's case mods a go whilst i'm there.

Dean.l Any chance of the photos of your mods :)

Steve

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2007
    Stevefish69, Dec 3, 2007
Ask a Question