Marantz CD63 Err 12

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by richf, May 14, 2007.

1. richf

richf

This is my first post and I decided to register after having found some excellent information on fault finding via a previous posting on a dead CD63.

My CD63 died with the common symptom of displaying 'DISC' when attempting to load a CD. After following the steps found in the posted Marantz Service Guide, while in mode P01, I determined that I have Error 12. This is translated to SLED error.

Please can anyone help me to interpret the resolution of a SLED problem?
    I have seen several sub-threads relating to error 02 (Focus error) and these were resolved by replacing the whole CDM1.2mechanism. Do I need to replace the whole transport/laser mechanism to fix my problem, or is there another way?

Thanks in anticipation!

richf, May 14, 2007
  2. richf

felix part-time Horta

Hi Rich, and welcome.

Does the player play discs at all (in or out of service mode? Does it load a disc OK, and find the table of contents (i.e register the correct number of tracks)?

felix, May 15, 2007
  3. richf

richf

Marantz CD 63 Err12

Hi Felix,

No, disc does not load at all in normal or service mode.
    In normal mode it doesn't even get to spin - can't even hear mechanism try to engage disc once tray has shut.
    In service mode (P1) there is a regular 'tick' sound as if the transport mechaism is trying to engage.
    In service mode P2 or P3 the disc spins (so assume motor is OK!), but still no detection of disk.
    When Play is pressed in service mode P3, sounds like motor is trying to spin up to speed, then slowing down repeatedly, then Err 12 is displayed.

Sounds broke doesn't it?
    I guess I need to get some visual diagnostics with the cover off to see what's not happening.

richf, May 16, 2007
  4. richf

felix part-time Horta

Definitely pull the top off, plug in and watch what happens as you step through the service mode without a disc loaded, and with one.

While you're in there, though, do try re-seating the ribbon cable you'll see between the transport and motherboard (pinch both edges and push down firmly into the connector). Sometimes these just come lose with unpredictable results.

felix, May 16, 2007
  5. richf

zanash

zanash, May 17, 2007
  6. richf

richf

Have checked operation with cover off. In service mode P02, disc spins (clockwise). In mode P03 nothing changes although laser is supposed to focus. (Interestingly when I press Play, the disc starts to spin anti-clockwise in short bursts).
    As there is no movement of laser, I suspect that the laser motor is dead or the gear mechanism has jammed. Will now order a VAM1201/J to replace the mechanism and get a fine soldering iron!
    Thanks to Felix and Zanash for their input.

richf, May 21, 2007
  7. richf

felix part-time Horta

Yup, that sounds worthwhile. It is easy to fit a new laser - this page should help walk you through the swap:

http://diyparadise.com/cd46/cd46repair.html

- Though it shows the Marantz CD46, the CD63 is identical as far as the laser swap goes.

felix, May 21, 2007
Ask a Question