Marantz CD63 MKII Ki Signature Limited Edition DP Modification CD Player

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Levi_501, Dec 8, 2004.

1. Levi_501

Levi_501 Its in The Jeans...

Has anyone else sent their beloved CD63 KI disc spinner to Marantz for the Limited Edition DP Modification ?

Levi_501, Dec 8, 2004
  2. Levi_501

Lt Cdr Data om

no, looks good and interesting article, but predictably David Price has said its the best sounding cd player ever. Which he happens to say about most posh looking kit.
    I bet he was given one, too.

just to summarise what was done.

psu wiring, as there isn't really any to speak of, I am sure this refers to the mains lead.

psu capacitors, original are silmics.

fuse in psu!!

small compensation caps in analogue stage are changed.

copper plating all over.

And was it some of the analogue decoupling caps?

Noise added to improve stereo location and all that, difficult, no idea how this was done at all. convertor is an sm5872 dac, dig filter and noise shaper all in one.

interesting tho' to see where he gives attention.

also interesting is no semiconductors are changed, ie the njm2114d op-amps, the regs. not that there are many, and no diodes in the psu.

(I actually changed the opamps in mine to some £5 analogue devices, and it made sweet fanny adams difference, even tho' the original are a cheap 5534)

The original ki63 was imo, the player that made ishwata's name, and for a reason, it has a very distinctive forward sound, full bass and creamy top that is much more exciting than the 6000, which is smooth and polite, but still fullsome. Personally, I think the sound was largely an accident, as there really is no ishiwata house sound, having heard ki63, ki6000, ki17, pm 66 amp, and 6000ki amp, they are all totally different to each other and the later ones not as good as the earlier ones.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2004
    Lt Cdr Data, Dec 9, 2004
  3. Levi_501

Saab

In DPs review,it wasn't clear whether he had paid for it or not,but yes,he did say it was the best CDP ever.A grands worth of upgrades though,i think

Saab, Dec 9, 2004
  4. Levi_501

michaelab desafinado

I like DP's reviews. He certainly seems to be less in the manufacturers pockets than, ahem, some people I could mention from a 'plush' magazine :D

Michael.

michaelab, Dec 9, 2004
  5. Levi_501

Well acording to JT from Marantz, I should receive mine back next week. Therefore I shall let you know of my findings, however it was over 2 months ago they took mine, thus I can not rember what it sounds like, maybe a ploy !

The DP machine reviewed, at the time was the only one made/produced/modified, whatever you want to call it, apparently it went round the houses !

As you know Marantz offered to modifiy customers machines if they required. When I spoke with Marantz I asked how many they where going to do, the actual number was not given to me, but an indication of less than 200 was implied.

When my machine was collected, I asked the girl how many she had collected/going to collect and how many they had received. Her answer to the effect was "I collected a few yesterday a few today, and I am the only one doing it" implementing somewhere in the region of 10-20, however I dont know how true this is.

It could be a rare beast !

LCD - I would agree with you, the original 63KI mod was bar far the best, very what I would call envolving, toe tapping, well for digi anyway !

Levi_501, Dec 9, 2004
  6. Levi_501

davidcotton prog rocker, proud of it!

Um for those late to the party could someone please provide details/link to what this mod is and costs?

Cheers!

davidcotton, Dec 9, 2004
  7. Levi_501

Lt Cdr Data om

the details were in a hifi world article, I summed them up in my post, cost is in the thread if you look, £1k.

I should very much like to hear them side by side, unmodded against modded.

Lt Cdr Data, Dec 9, 2004
  8. Levi_501

andrew1810

Does anyone have a contact email address for Marantz, can't find it on their website?

Thanks

Andrew

andrew1810, Dec 9, 2004
  9. Levi_501

LCD

A friend has a standard CD63KI, so when mine is returned we shall know !

It better be, its taken long enough !

Levi_501, Dec 10, 2004
  10. Levi_501

Saab

Andrew

Marantz UK 01753680868,thats the number in the article

Saab, Dec 10, 2004
  11. Levi_501

andrew1810

Thanks Saab, might give them a ring sometime, do they do any mods for the CD6000 like upgrading from the OSE to KI or somthing?

Thanks

Andrew

andrew1810, Dec 10, 2004
  12. Levi_501

Its a hell of a model number number for one machine !

They sgould take a leaf out of the Exposure's book; 14, 9, 7, and so on !

Levi_501, Dec 10, 2004
  13. Levi_501

Lt Cdr Data om

keep me posted, really interested to know, perhaps you could email me a few close up internal pics., too so I can see the goodies :D

Lt Cdr Data, Dec 11, 2004
  14. Levi_501

Well it has finally been returned to me, only 6 weeks late. !

I had it delivered at work, but I had to have a sneaky peak and it does look the nads ! all that polished copper, Ohh you could it your dinner off it !

A new wall mounted shelf has been fitted, so just can not wait to get home !

Levi_501, Jan 4, 2005
  15. Levi_501

Saab

review it now!!

Saab, Jan 4, 2005
  16. Levi_501

Well I dont really know how to describe it, apart from it sounds "Damn good !"

It really really does not sound like CD at all, I am amazed. You can still tell it is the KI but it has more of everything it had before, which I dont think is a bad thing.

I think apart from the fact it does not sound digital and flat, the biggest improvement is the lead vocalist has been brought forward and the give the feeling they are in front of the band instead of the flatness usually associated with CD, a deeper sound stage. The soundstage on the whole is huge it has been increased in all xyz planes.

As far as CD players go I think I have to say this is the most musical, and natural and lifelike player I have ever heard !

I have only been listening through some Chord Chamleon Int but these will now be replaced with the Sigs in keeping with the rest of the system.

There is a little of a shame as it has to go back because of a few manufacturing defects, it is being collected again tomorrow so the enjoyment has only been short lived !

Levi_501, Jan 5, 2005
Ask a Question