Mid life crisis - An antidote.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by rewster, May 28, 2004.

1. rewster

rewster

:cool: Summers here!

I got the day off today and sat around after the sprogs had gone to school thinking 'what the hell shall I do?' Options were house maintenance, grass cutting, contract reading, or trying to find a mate for a pint who wasn't at work, when all of a sudden it occurred to me....crank up the system.

( If this begins to offend as it develops, please feel free to mock, knock, or take the piss, it really doesn't matter to me.)

Do you remember as a teenager that 'everyones out, lets play music' feeling? You know where the volume just goes up and up as the euphoria rises? Where you jig about in combination comedy dancing and trying to find the next track to play, and every cd you pass seems a perfect choice to have made as soon as you hear the first few bars?

Well that's what I did, and it was bloody marvellous, not your standard 'grown up' listening, no worries about a/b comparison, forget isolation, sod soundstage, prat only used in context of my inimitable dance style........

I'd recommend we all have a go in the near future, done me the power of good, and reminded me that all this system building, tinkering and improving has been worth it.

Highlights? The Jags ' The back of my hand'
    Sugarhill gang 'Rappers delight'
    Tom Brown ' Funkin for Jamaica'

and right heel placed in ashtray leading to an unscheduled 'splits' with half pike and salco (not so good after a vasectomy)

rewster, May 28, 2004
  2. rewster

blakeaudio

midlife-crisis!!! your only a couple of years older than me!! i refuse to accept being anywhere near midlife!

but know exactly what you mean about bopping about the place, totally engrossed in the music! excellent.

i have a feeling that my neighbours must hate me. haven't actually had any complaints yet though....

blakeaudio, May 28, 2004
  3. rewster

rewster

;) Blakeaudio,

I don't know who you're trying to reassure, but I reckon heading up on mid 30's is middle aged, you don't see many people my height and profession making it as far as 70!

I've got half a mind to give up on pension provision altogether and spend the money on cd's.

rewster, May 28, 2004
  4. rewster

Saab

lol,good post,i can relate to all of that,being 38 with kids

I get to do this rarely,but it feels disturbingly satisfying,like i have been a secretly naughty boy:)

Saab, May 29, 2004
  5. rewster

Tom

Some of us are still young enough to be in the "everyone's out - lets turn it up" phase for the first time! That reminds me, i've got GCSE next monday...:rolleyes:

Tom, May 29, 2004
  6. rewster

rewster

;) Good luck Tom,

Get all the learning you can under your belt now, there's so little time for it once you get underway in life. But bear in mind the most important thing is to be happy, healthy, and look after those that count.

rewster, May 29, 2004
  7. rewster

Tenson Moderator

Mwaahahaha.. good luck Tom! I have a lot of friends doing their GCSE's at the moment.

Shit.. I have exams soon too :rolleyes:

Tenson, May 29, 2004
  8. rewster

davidcotton prog rocker, proud of it!

Had the opportunity to "turn it up" last week.

Everyone else in the household had gone to france for the week. I'd stayed at home for various reasons.

Five glorious days of being able to crank it up as much as I liked. Particularly as the neighbours were out at work all day as well :)

davidcotton, May 29, 2004
  9. rewster

daytona

who's up for a national stay-in-and-turn-it-up-day?

daytona, May 29, 2004
  10. rewster

Tenson Moderator

Well I have to admit I am inconsiderate and turn it up all the time!

My room is half detached and the wall connecting to the neighbours goes to their spare unused room. My room also has some degree of sound-proofing. :)

But yeah national turn it up day sounds fun!

Tenson, May 29, 2004
  11. rewster

Will The Lucky One

Welcome to my world :D

Most of my listening is done in a similar fashion to that you describe to be honest, rarely do I just sit back and listen relatively quietly, though I guess that does say much for my system and to a greater extent the sort of music I listen to, to me a lot of stuff just doesn't sound right unless its really loud (the Ramones for example...).

I get away with playing it loud quite nicely now as well, the hifi has moved from the loft to the dining room which you'd think would mean I have to be more considerate with the volume, but I have different speakers which are isolated so no longer shake the floor as much, which was a real pain since my sisters bedroom was right beneath the loft and she'd moan about me shaking things off her shelves :JOEL:

I always like to listen to some loud music before I go out up town, gets me in the mood I find, and I think I enjoy the music more the way you describe than just sitting there :eek:

Will, May 29, 2004
  12. rewster

greg Its a G thing

I'm troubled. Please tell me your height and profession? :confused:

greg, May 29, 2004
  13. rewster

rewster

:MILD: Greg,

Provide me with a photo card id and two utility bills and we'll talk! I hate a person to feel troubled.

rewster, May 29, 2004
Ask a Question