Misteri d'Elx - La Vespra

Discussion in 'Classical Music' started by eisenach, Sep 9, 2004.

1. eisenach

eisenach

AliaVox: AV9836 - Jordi Savall

Came across an excerpt from this on the cover CD to August's "Diapason", backed up by a strong review (Diapason d'Or). MDT have just sent it to me for £9.

It's one of the best CDs I've bought in months. Brilliant. And what a voice Montserrat Figueras has got.

I can't get any links to work, but the catalogue number throws up google results.

Has anyone seen any UK reviews?

eisenach, Sep 9, 2004
  2. eisenach

eisenach

I've just read a review in Gramophone's Award issue whilst in the local library. The reviewer was luke warm at best.
    I'm always amazed and amused at the difference of opinion between Diapason and Gramophone. Of course, they do often agree, but equally, there are times when their opinions are diametrically opposed. With this one, I'm with Diapason, despite what Gramophone sees as historical oddities about the performance. The recorded sound is sublime.

On another tack, has anyone noticed Virgin's latest boxed releases? Amongst others, they've got an 8-cd set of Jordi Savall's EMI recordings of Spanish music. I've already got three discs out of the set (I like them a lot, especially the Llibre Vermell de Montserrat, which was on EMI's old Reflexe label), but at the price it's still worth ordering. MDT are doing it for £15. Christmas present assigned!

eisenach, Oct 29, 2004
Ask a Question