MK mains sockets with filters or extension cable with filter?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by dominicT, Mar 10, 2004.

1. dominicT

dominicT former member

Hi Guys

I am moving my hifi and need a quick bit of advice. I have a dedicated mains spur which is terminated with 4 MK double mains sockets with built in filters. This was done as part of doing my house up and there was no time to test out whether this was a good idea or not. Because I am moving the hifi to somewhere else in the lounge I have choices as to what to do from a mains perpective as follows:

a) get an electrician to move the spur and the MK mains sockets

b) get an electrician to move the spur and buy an extension board with filters built in - if so what one?

c) get an electrician to move the spur and buy an extension board (MK or B&Q etc) and separate mains filter - if so which one

d) forget mains filters and just move the spur

I'm not looking for a flame war but would appreciate some good advice as there are differing opinions about what is the right approach. I am really, really busy and do not want to spend hours trying out all sorts of variations that only have marginal differences. Is there a no-brainer answr that the majority sign up to?

Lastly, I run my speaker cables through a plastic pipe that is buried in my chimney breast (so that cables are not visible in front of the fireplace) I might need to also run the power cables from my Nuvista M3 power supply to the M3 through the same pipe. Is this likely to degrade the sound to the extent that I would hear a difference? If so then I will get another hole cut.

Thanks

Dominic

dominicT, Mar 10, 2004
  2. dominicT

penance Arrogant Cock

i would get the spur moved with the same sockets and consider mains conditioning/filter as a seperate idea.

I would not run speaker and mains cable in the same duct

HTH

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2004
    penance, Mar 10, 2004
  3. dominicT

kermit still dreaming.......

I shouldn,t listen to Penance ,
    He can,t get it right in his own system:D

Best get back into my air raid shelter:D

Personally , I,d go with Penances advice , although if money wasn,t an issue I,d have the electrician put in an extra spur but without filters on the mk sockets as well as moving the originals .
    That way you could try combinations of your kit to see if you can get better results .
    For example I like my main amp and sub without filters . But my cd , tt , amp for treble and dac filtered .
    Just a thought .

kermit, Mar 10, 2004
  4. dominicT

penance Arrogant Cock

He has a valid point there:) ;)

penance, Mar 10, 2004
  5. dominicT

MartinC Trainee tea boy

Ah, but that just means you have lots of experience to call on ;)

MartinC, Mar 11, 2004
  6. dominicT

dominicT former member

Blimey! thought that with all of the debate on mains filters that I would get more of a steer on this.

The reason that I did the post in the first place was that I am sure that Roy Gregory did a piece recently saying that mulitple mains sockets were not the way to go and that a mains distribution block with filters was. Any thoughts? Is he just trying to sell more product for his mates?

Any help would really be appreciated as my electrician turns up on Friday.

Cheers

Dominic

dominicT, Mar 15, 2004
Ask a Question