Mordaunt-Short 902

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by rob, Sep 1, 2003.

1. rob

rob SCHMOOOOKIN

Mordaunt-Short 902

http://www.audiovisiononline.co.uk 129.00

anybody ever had a listen to these speakers?

im kinda juggling between these and some B & W DM601S2 (second hand) and perhaps some wharfedale Pi20 £100

i dont know much about speakers so any help would be great.

cheers,

Rob.

rob, Sep 1, 2003
  2. rob

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Come on Rory, this is one for you! :D

PBirkett, Sep 1, 2003
  3. rob

timpy Snake Oil free!!!

But in the meantime......

Whilst they are no doubt very worthy speakers with a very good heritage, and MS have made some cracking speakers in the past, I can't help thinking that they just aren't going to have enough scale or presence for you. In your position, I'd definately be looking secondhand.

Cheers

timpy, Sep 1, 2003
  4. rob

rob SCHMOOOOKIN

rob, Sep 1, 2003
  5. rob

timpy Snake Oil free!!!

Hi Rob

Well they're good speakers definately, and they're big sounding for their size, but they won't have the punch of your current ones despite beng better at everything else.

Of course the best thing is to hunt some down, or some similar ones, in fact any standmount really, and see if yu're barking up the right tree.

If you want floorstanders that will preserve your punch and do the rest as well, then have a look for the 609 as a minimum size, or preferably the 611. There are bigger but they might get too big for your room. The later series the 635 to 638 are good, the 632 is a marvellous standmount but the bigger floorstanding brothers are probably going to float your boat more.

Of course I could be wrong, only trying a few would tell. Do you like standmounts, are they going to do it for you?

Cheers

timpy, Sep 1, 2003
  6. rob

rob SCHMOOOOKIN

i quite like the sound of the wharfedales but they are way to bassy and loud, i want something a bit more refined.i listen to a lot of jazz and accoustic music but occasionally i listen to dance music, orbital and the like.i do want book shelf / stand mount though because my room isent very big, 12 x 8 feet give or take.

rob, Sep 1, 2003
  7. rob

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Have you tried some standmounts in there Rob?

I think you're right, in a 12x8 room a standmount is what I would choose, but if you're going from those massive floorstanders to a standmount you will notice a decrease in bass..

(well I'd say it'll be less boomy, but if you're an out and out dance nut you might miss some of that visceral impact...)

you might get away with some floorstanders you know... as long as they are not big heffers.

A lot of people on here dont like Naim speakers, but I like the Naim Intro. I always have... its alive sounding.. and Ive found one for a pittance at my favorite shop ..

(www.emporium.dircon.co.uk)

NAIM INTROS boxed, usual crisp sound from naim, would probably sound quite good with a pair of Quad IIs new: £780 Used 350

They have some Linn Keilighs with Ku stones for £300 which is an even bigger bargain (only cos I like them more) but the intro seems to stand being closer to a back wall in those times Ive tried it, and doesnt have the bass energy of the Linns, which I think you may need to curb with a room of that size.

Anyway, I really rate both speakers in different applications.

Cheers
    Chris

bottleneck, Sep 1, 2003
  8. rob

rob SCHMOOOOKIN

thanks chris but im afraid 150 is my limit at the moment. i wont mind a decrease in bass or volume for that matter but i want siomething with a nice open sound. the wharfedales can seem very flat at times but their warmth kinda makes them bareable.i did try my friends eltax moniter speakers, little bookshelf with two drivers and a tweeter and they dident cut the cheese.they were quite pleasant to listen to but i dont think i could live with them.

rob, Sep 1, 2003
  9. rob

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

hmm!

that makes it more tricky,

take a look here..,.

http://www.emporium.dircon.co.uk/Loudspeakers.htm

there are some quite tasty looking missions (I think they might have the open character you're looking for) and some baby KEFs too.... and some evergreen Linn Kans (as Julian said on another thread, its the type of speaker that holds it value very well... also very open sounding)

Shame you cant stretch to the Proac Response 1's ... oh well!

My favorite thing about the emporium, is that he sends out a box of all of your favorite options so that you can try them at home, and return the ones you dont like... just paying return postage.

I shant apologise for plugging the shop, I cant think of another like it in Britain, and thats saying something!

Chris

bottleneck, Sep 1, 2003
  10. rob

Rory satisfied

shucks :green: :cowboy:

Rob, those 902s are great speakers- I still think they're the best new speakers you can get for under £200, even though they're only £138.78. They are the pick of the current MS range in terms of balance and sound per pound and imo are the best looking bookshelf speakers on the market too, especially in the black finish, with the grilles off!! From demo experience they work best on filled Atacama SE5 stands, but Nexus 5 or 6 stands will suffice. Allow 20-30cm for the rear reflex port to do it's business against rear walls.

There was a pair of 902 Signatures on Ebay a little while ago- think they're still on- these RRP at £200. I have no idea what the difference is though, as they're a Richers exclusive...

buy your 902s for £138.78 from a trusted retailer- www.bennettsonline.co.uk ;)

Rory, Sep 1, 2003
  11. rob

rob SCHMOOOOKIN

i am seriousley thinking about it.i was told on another hi fi forum (what hi fi) that they were lacking in weight compared to other speakers of the same size.i have been following the auction on e bay though i dont know what the difference is with the signature.all the reviews seem to point in the right direction though.

rob, Sep 1, 2003
  12. rob

rob SCHMOOOOKIN

cant seem to find them in that link though

rob, Sep 1, 2003
  13. rob

MO! MOnkey`ead!

They're crap! Get some Missions ;)

You may need a degree to fully apreciate them though :p

MO!, Sep 1, 2003
  14. rob

Rory satisfied

just give the mail order number a ring if they're not there

the ms902 sigs are on Ebay at £60 with 22 hours to go (at 20.00 hours on 1st Sep)

and Mo
    i have a degree and it hasn't made a difference. Still don't like them ;)

Rory, Sep 1, 2003
  15. rob

rob SCHMOOOOKIN

i think the 902 sigs have bigger cabinates.i dfo think a trip dfown to richer sounds would be a good idea though to give them a listen.

rob, Sep 1, 2003
  16. rob

MO! MOnkey`ead!

oops! My bad.

Didn't lay that reply out as well as I perhaps could have.

I meant that, maybe my not being overly impressed with the few MS speakers i've heard is down to not having a degree.

Cheers

MO

p.s. you've got me on block???

:cry:

MO!, Sep 1, 2003
  17. rob

rob SCHMOOOOKIN

ive never actually listened to ms speakers before and any reviews i can find are the usual "these babies are awsum" etc. is there anywhere on the net where you can read good reviews? or even bad reviews which is what i cant seem to find.at least if i could find a bad review it might add things up a wee bit better.

rob, Sep 1, 2003
  18. rob

Rory satisfied

i trust u've tried audioreview.com etc, consumerreview.com etc
    erm
    they aren't bad speakers hence no bad reviews!!
    i've personally sold 25-30 pairs in the last year and none have come back!!

Rory, Sep 1, 2003
  19. rob

Rory satisfied

just realised you were the chappy with the valdus 500s
    wow.. a huge difference awaits you, but make sure you get mass loaded stands to partner them to give you the bass weight and extension you desire.

Rory, Sep 1, 2003
  20. rob

rob SCHMOOOOKIN

do you know a good place to get stands from?

rob, Sep 2, 2003
Ask a Question