Mordaunt Short Performance 860 speakers

Discussion in 'Classified Adverts' started by Rory, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Rory

Rory satisfied

FS
    my beloved MS P860s- fantastic speakers, replaced in my bedroom by Celestion Kingstons, which to be totally honest only really better them in the compactness stakes, and in a slightly more transparent midrange.
    My set are just over 2 years, old, so have just under 3 years manufacturers guarantee left. They have their original boxes, manuals, and I will even throw in some of WHFs and HFCs glowing reports (basically, they had nothing bad to say- quote WHF- a "speaker to cherish")
    Technically speaking,
    they have a 6 ohm impedance
    sensitivity is 90db
    their frequency response is 35hz-22khz +/- 3db
    their rated amplifier power is 25W-225WPC handling
    they have 2 6 1/2 inch bass drivers, close to the floor to aid the bass. Further up the time aligned front baffle (read 'sloping' :) ) theres a 5 inch midrange unit, in its own ResinRock enclosure and finally a 1 inch aluminium metal dome tweeter.

Finish is a Piano Gloss Black lacquer, that has some very very MINOR marks which are the result of buying Ex-dem (I'm afraid)!!!

They are triwire/triampable though i've really just run them biwired from the Plinius amplifier, and used QED silver profile 12 as replacements for the brass links (which I still have).
    They are hexagonal shaped (which is why the pics may look odd) so as to reduce internal standing waves, and also reduce cabinet colouration.
    To elaborate on the ResinRock mentioned earlier, its a proprietary Mordaunt-Short material made out of well, Resin and rubber IIRC. But it contributes to the weight of 26kg per speaker.

For this reason, postage would not be advised as it may even run into triple figures. I'd recommend coming down to Ipswich for a demo, or take a chance and wait till the bakeoff on 18/19 October for a demo then. An alternative would be to squeeze them into my Fiesta (with the back seats down) and drive them within a sensible distance and just charge petrol.

Cost retail was £1900
    I'm looking for in the region of £850 ono which quite simply won't buy you anywhere near this type of quality elsewhere. Stunning is the word.
    If you are interested or have any further queries please email or pm me.
    There are loads of photos available and in-home demo (with your own equipment) is encouraged as I said.

Cheers
    [​IMG]

p.s. they have full length grilles!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2003
    Rory, Sep 17, 2003
  2. Rory

Rory satisfied

price reduced to £650 ono

please note if you were impressed by the Marantz setup at the Heathrow show, I have been informed that these were the speakers that were being used!! They obviously rate them higher than the new £3000 UKP Mordaunt Shorts!!!!!

Come and listen to them at the Bake off!!

Cheers :)

Rory, Oct 10, 2003
  3. Rory

Rory satisfied

bump

had a succesful outing at the bakeoff, and were neutral enough to show up minor differences in cables, and to show the differences in SACD versus CD, different DACs etc

i also discovered that they're very comfortable near a wall- the reflex ports were only 1 1/2 inchs away from the brickwork!!

the Peavey Kosmos bass harmonics enhancer also had them singing out some really low tones!!

really fantastic speakers- Mordaunt Shorts £1000 speakers (502s) do NOT COME CLOSE.

a reminder again- £650, or £700 including 1.4m and 1.6m biamp pair Nordost Blue Heaven speaker wire (also used in bakeoff)

Cheers

Rory

Rory, Oct 21, 2003
  4. Rory

Rory satisfied

£100 off- £550 exc Nordost, £600 including

silly money now, for really high quality engineering. you wouldn't buy this sort of sound quality for less than £1200 or so, and especially in their gorgeous piano black finish

cheers

Rory, Nov 8, 2003
  5. Rory

Graham C

Well done for shifting them mate. I fear MS are tricky to sell, though those were very nice.

I think I will be able to offload my Disco-tastic MS817s after Xmas when I have finished their replacements - £200 would give me a grin, but who knows??

Graham C, Dec 11, 2003
  6. Rory

Rory satisfied

the chap who bought them replaced his ESLs with them- yikes!!

you should get £300 for yours on ebay Graham. Not wishing to sound in the least bit offensive, but theres much more of a market for your 'hit em hard, and don't care so much about the refined sound' than my old higher end, more refined stuff. You should do well.

Rory, Dec 11, 2003
  7. Rory

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Congrats ror, the chap got a bargin, and he only travelled down the road, don't you wish all your sales were this hassle free :) Wm

wadia-miester, Dec 11, 2003
  8. Rory

MO! MOnkey`ead!

someone on the forum?

I see you're selling the Celestians too! Got a replacement lined up? Or is that another thread?

MO!, Dec 12, 2003
Ask a Question