mordaunt shorts and marantz

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by bigviv, Dec 19, 2003.

1. bigviv

bigviv

need some expert advice people

i got a marantz 7300 and the mordaunt short premier speaker set

the sub has a 2phono input and the receiver has a 1phono sub output, how can i connect the sub up?

prob a very easy answer...but you guys don't mind, do ya?

thanks

bigviv, Dec 19, 2003
  2. bigviv

Dev Moderator

Simple, you only connect one plug.

Dev, Dec 19, 2003
  3. bigviv

MartinC Trainee tea boy

Can't you get a cable that wires the two amp outputs together to to a single phono? That's the better option isn't it?

MartinC, Dec 19, 2003
  4. bigviv

Dev Moderator

I don't see the point since the signal is mono. The 2 inputs on the sub are for connecting the output from HiFi (which incidently is a lot lower than the output from AV receiver).

Dev, Dec 19, 2003
  5. bigviv

MartinC Trainee tea boy

The output isn't mono though is it? Suppose a bass sound is recorded very much to one side (doesn't happen much I grant you but it can) then depending whether this is the side wired to the sub or not you're going to get a louder or quieter sound. I don't have a sub BTW, but I thought this was what was normally done from what I've read. Can someone confirm that I'm not talking crap (in this instance :) ).

MartinC, Dec 19, 2003
  6. bigviv

Tebbs

You're not talking crap youve just misread the first post. The reciever is the one with one output for the sub (ie it has already mono-ed it I spose) the sub has 2 inputs.

Tebbs, Dec 19, 2003
  7. bigviv

MartinC Trainee tea boy

Ah! Thank you. I was talking crap :D . Dev could well be right with his connect one input only answer then... Although, how does the sub convert from the stereo input to it's mono output? If it does some sort of mean of the two inputs might this not give a lower amplitude signal than expected? If it did you could then of course use a 'Y' connector as I mentioned before...

MartinC, Dec 19, 2003
  8. bigviv

Dev Moderator

I wish I had worded my first post differently, sorry. The sub does not convert mono to stereo. Surely you've heard of dual mono amps. Think of all signals as monos. You only get stereo when you play 2 diffrent channels simultaneously. With AV you have 5, 6 or 7 channels plus the sub. Each of these is a distinct channel not carrying any stereo information at all.

I mentioned the sub output is generally higher in the AV amp only because for the movies the sub output is specifically recorded (for explosions etc.) like that.

Dev, Dec 19, 2003
  9. bigviv

MartinC Trainee tea boy

It was probably the only response needed, it's just me dragging it out...

Yes, thankfully all obvious to me :), but no harm making sure. What I was thinking was that if this sub was designed with a stereo input (as it seems to be), it might be intended to downmix this to give it's mono output in some way. Now depending quite how this is done might there not be an issue with only connecting one of the stereo inputs?

MartinC, Dec 19, 2003
  10. bigviv

Dev Moderator

AFAIK, no issues at all.

Dev, Dec 19, 2003
  11. bigviv

Goomer

If it's of any interest, I have a subwoofer with stereo inputs which I have used with AV receivers with both mono and stereo RCA outputs, and, as far as I was able to tell, the sub fuctioned perfectly in each situation.

Goomer, Dec 19, 2003
  12. bigviv

bigviv

thanks guys, got a y splitter just in case there's something funky going on with the stereo input

done done and done

sounding good as well!!

bigviv, Dec 19, 2003
Ask a Question