mot's just ran out , oooops.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by rob, Oct 30, 2004.

1. rob

rob SCHMOOOOKIN

bugger , dident think it was this month , aww well.
    thing is , can i drive it to a check centre without an mot and will i be insured?
    i think i might be able to but dont the police cameras in police cars check to see if a reg No is mot'd or not or is that just tax?

rob, Oct 30, 2004
  2. rob

Dev Moderator

I understand that if you have a booking for a test,the Police will probably let you drive to the testing station. However, as far as the insurance goes since the vehicle is technically not road-worthy, I wouldn't assume you'd be insured. I'd ring the insurance company just to be on the safe side.

Dev, Oct 30, 2004
  3. rob

analoguekid Planet Rush

Dev the law's position is clear, if the vehicle is being driven to or from a test centre with a booked appointment then you are ok, agree with mentioning to insurance.

analoguekid, Oct 30, 2004
  4. rob

Paul Ranson

AK is right. But don't confuse the insurance company by calling them, I'm assuming the car is actually roadworthy...

Paul

Paul Ranson, Oct 30, 2004
  5. rob

rob SCHMOOOOKIN

the car is pretty sound , its an n reg and in very good nick so i doubt the police will see it as a threat to other road users.
    if the law says i can drive to an mot centre then im pretty sure the insurance company wont mind.
    fingers crossed.

oh , does any one know a good mot centre in the south east?

rob, Oct 30, 2004
  6. rob

Sid and Coke

Don't forget though, you do need to pre book the appointment. You can also drive the car home or ( i think ) to a place of repair if you decide not to get the car repaired at the test centre.

Just because a car has a valid MOT doesn't mean to say that it is actually roadworthy. I believe the traffic cops can even have the means to check exhaust emmisions these days. Make sure that your engine is nice and warm when you get there too, Cat's and Lambda sensors need a good bit of heat in them to work properly.

Sid and Coke, Oct 30, 2004
  7. rob

rodrat

The legal postition is as stated that you can drive to the test centre. However, I would be careful about insurance companies. For example, a spent conviction, which in most contexts does not need to be divulged is not necessarrily viewed as such by insurance companies. They make up their own rules and if they can weasel out of paying up, they will use any excuse.

I would contact your insurance company and give them a scenario. E.G. I am out of the country and my mot runs out before I get back, am I insured when I drive it to the test centre? Or even better ring up another company, ask for a quote, explain that you will be away for a while and ask the same question.

It seems a bit devious, but the consquences of not being insured and having an accident can be very costly.

Rod

rodrat, Nov 2, 2004
Ask a Question