Mozart Symphony No. 41 'Jupiter'

Discussion in 'Classical Music' started by cocytus, Apr 27, 2005.

1. cocytus

cocytus

Hello :)

I have been well served for many years by Bernstein's live recording of this symphony with the Vienna Philharmonic. Now however I would like to have a CD of this symphony which has really good audiophile sound. Big, weighty and grand. I am not too bothered about quality of interpretation (Mozart's not my main poison), as long as tempi are nice and brisk and don't drag.

Please recommend one, thanks!

ps: no HIP/period performances, please

cocytus, Apr 27, 2005
  2. cocytus

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

I think the Bernstein VPO is probably the best of the kind you are looking for - non HIP and good recording, not many recordings done by modern symphony orchestras nowadays. Only things I can think of might be Jeffrey Tate and ECO on EMI (if still available - and not a big orchestra) or maybe ASMF and Neville Marriner, sure they must have recorded it many times.

alanbeeb, Apr 27, 2005
  3. cocytus

cocytus

Thanks. Looks like Bernstein will be the main Mozart No. 41 for me till the day HIP becomes unHIP and big orchestras reclaim Mozart. :( A Marriner could be an interesting sidekick, I will keep an eye out for possible digital versions from him next time I visit the record stores.

cocytus, Apr 28, 2005
  4. cocytus

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

alanbeeb, May 3, 2005
  5. cocytus

Herman

It sounds like you're definitely looking for the 40 / 41 disc by Harnoncourt and the Amsterdam Concertgebouw. I don't know about availability, though, expecially after Harnoncourt recorded the three last symphonies one more time with the Chamber Orch of Yurp.

Another interesting big band interpretation of the Mozart symphonies 38, 40 and 41 are live recordings by Raphael Kubelik and the Bavarian Radio Symphony on Orfeo.

These are from the same mid-eighties vintage as the Bernstein and Harnoncourt, but since the Kubelik are radio broadcasts originally they don't sound as detailed. The musicality of these accounts however is terrific.

Herman, May 7, 2005
  6. cocytus

cocytus

Thanks. Harnoncourt is now firmly on my radar.

cocytus, May 8, 2005
Ask a Question