MSB Link 111 DAC

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by wflem007, Aug 19, 2004.

1. wflem007

wflem007

Guys

I know this DAC was mentioned a while ago (by WM if I remember right) but despite a search on the Forum couldn't find it.

I quite fancy this one - contacted Deregle Group (UK distributors), a guy called John Jeffries whose name rings a distant bell somewhere but I can't place it.

Asked him if they had a demo unit I could borrow (but paying up front) and he turned me down flat. Just not interested but it could have been sugared just a wee bit.

Anyone had any experience of the MSB ? - they seem to get good reviews anyway

wflem007, Aug 19, 2004
  2. wflem007

julian2002 Muper Soderator

if it's the same jj he owns / runs metropolis music / sounds of music home of various bits of high endery like the lumley lampros bohiemoths, boulder amps, and vincent kit.

not heard the msb dacs but was seriously considering one until an a/s dax2 came up ridiculously cheap.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Aug 19, 2004
  3. wflem007

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

The MSB stuff is very good, if you can get the sepearte psu they do, a serious upgrade, very musical and plain good, great value too

wadia-miester, Aug 19, 2004
  4. wflem007

wflem007

Julian & WM - thanks for the quick replies.

Yeah, think I'll go ahead over the weekend - will keep you posted

wflem007, Aug 20, 2004
  5. wflem007

LeRoy

I have an MSB Link DAC. System is Krell KAV 300i, driving Soniuque 6.5 speakers.

I purchased a SONY ES 9000 DVD to replace my TEAC VRDS 25 (didn't want a yet another box for DVD) but the Sony DAC takes forever to run in so I bought the MSB Link DAC. Now the Sony is run in (100 hours or so) I still prefer the Link. For the bucks it is extremely well made, is self sensing so it remains switched on and has been trouble free for 2 years. Nice upgrades available if you're that way inclined. Can buy direct from the States.

Difference between the TEAC VRDS 25 and the Sony ES9000 is predominantly warmth, imaging and musicality.

Cheers
    LeRoy

LeRoy, Aug 27, 2004
  6. wflem007

wflem007

LeRoy

Did you deal direct with MSB ?

My wife is over to the States in Nov and and soon as she told me I had a cunning plan..........

Checked with Her Majesty's officials and the excise rate is 3.3% then plus vat at 17.5%. She simply declares on her return and that's that.

Decided to follow WM's advise and go for the P1000 power supply and I'll go for the 96khz upsampling option as well.

Should all net down to £800 and odds in real money, and not £1200 if it was ordered here.

I wouldn't mind so much dealing with the dealer here but he was unhelpful to say the least so there you go............

Have mailed MSB with my cunning plan but havn't heard back yet.

wflem007, Aug 27, 2004
  7. wflem007

LeRoy

Hello Will.
    I did not deal direct with the US.
    I'm in Adelaide, Australia and no one here deals in MSB.
    I stumbled on the product second hand during a day trip to Melbourne.
    One listen was enough as a temporary fill till the Sony ran in and as it was going cheap (circa 190 pounds in your terms) I thought why not....now it's grown on me. The guy I bought from said he bought it direct from the states via the Internet but I do not know whether it was direct from MSB or a dealer. HRM's quite nice with the excise rate, ours is 10%.

Cheers

LeRoy

LeRoy, Aug 29, 2004
  8. wflem007

wflem007

LeRoy

Thanks for the info - sweet price, you got a real bargain there.

Still waiting on MSB coming back to me but Plan B is to organise the purchase through a Stateside dealer but I would much rather deal with MSB direct.

Cheers

wflem007, Aug 29, 2004
  9. wflem007

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Will,

For that amount of Brass you can accquire a Gold Link & PSU sir,remember the power suppiles are multi-voltage, so no issue there, never buy new, in fact for £1200 inc vat, you may be abvle to squeeze a Platium dac :)

wadia-miester, Aug 29, 2004
  10. wflem007

wflem007

WM

The thing is, I can never see the s/h stuff I'm looking for.

Been keping my eye out for ages for another Nad 218 power amp and a second Monitor Audio ASW210 sub but no luck.

I've sorta set my sights (and heart) on the MSB stuff. Bit like an erection, you gotta go with it when ya have the urge

Will (aged 51 and three quarters)

wflem007, Aug 29, 2004
Ask a Question