Music scores

Discussion in 'Classical Music' started by titian, Aug 12, 2003.

1. titian

titian

Can somebody tell me where I can buy for reasonabe money some orchestral scores?
    thanks

titian, Aug 12, 2003
  2. titian

Herman

A music store, obviously. You can order Dover scores on the internet probably, but these are not too great. You should call in advance: usually they have scores for piano music and the usual Handel flute stuff, but no Bruckner lap scores (used to, but not anymore).

Herman

Herman, Aug 12, 2003
  3. titian

titian

Well, I don't have time to run around in the music stores. i would preferably buy them in the internet but as you suggest not the Dover scores. I am looking for the orchestral scores starting with Beethoven's 4th: do you have an idea why? :D

titian, Aug 12, 2003
  4. titian

GrahamN

Well, a quick google on "barenreiter score beethoven" led very quickly to here. No idea whether it's a good deal or not - but at least it's the (new) authorised version (i.e. the one Zinman uses - but not the golden oldies)!

And another on "beethoven partitur schweiz sinfonie" found this amongst others

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2003
    GrahamN, Aug 12, 2003
  5. titian

titian

.. but I had time to quickly call the music store and order it by phone. In Amazon.de the scores of Beethoven's complete symphonies are not available and getting it from outside Switzerland would cost some postal fees as well as taxes.
    In the swiss store it was slightly more expensive (considering everything) than in the internet but I would get it tomorrow.

titian, Aug 13, 2003
  6. titian

Herman

So are you getting the Bärenreiter? - none of your recordings would be using that one.

Not that it matters that much. My Op. 60 score is ancient, but reading along with the 2000 Abbado (who allegedly used the new Bärenreiter) I have yet to spot cataclysmic differences.

I'm curious about your report.

Herman

Herman, Aug 13, 2003
  7. titian

GrahamN

The changes cited for the 4th symph. by del Mar in the cover notes of the Zinman set are:
    1st mvmt: slurs cover only upbeats (not main note) in bars 36-42, 190-214 etc
    4th mvmt: bar 21 timp plays semiquavers not quavers

I guess those are just tasters for the full set.

GrahamN, Aug 13, 2003
  8. titian

lordsummit moderate mod

As far as I am aware there is very little wrong with the Dover scores. I often use them. They are reasonably priced, and comr from historical sources, quite often the first edition. Would reccomend them really

lordsummit, Aug 14, 2003
Ask a Question