Musical desk / bookshelf speakers

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by PBirkett, Mar 30, 2005.

1. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

At the moment, I have a set of Rega Ela's, but I am probably going to sell them, as they are not being used to their potential in my room, I can never sit right in the middle of them anyway, and the position of them is quite poor. Have a look at this picture that shows how they are just unlovingly bunged into the corners:-

[​IMG]

Its a real shame to get rid of them, but I now grudingly accept that they are not really being used to their potential in here, despite their lovely sound :(

So I am likely after some bookshelf monitor type speakers that offer a similar groovy sound to the Ela's... mainly to listen to dance, rock and pop music.

I am not bothered too much if they are active or not, as I have my Rotel amp to power them, but I will take active speakers and sell the Rotel if they are good enough.

I guess I'd rather do second hand if possible, but will buy new if theres something good out there that doesnt cost a lot. I guess I could raise up to £500 from the sale of the amp, speakers and whatever money I can muster to throw in. If they are non active speakers, then I guess around about £300 would be the limit.

Cheers

Edit: I guess I should have clarified, they are to go on my desk on either side of the monitor.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2005
    PBirkett, Mar 30, 2005
  2. PBirkett

Rory satisfied

Epos ELS3 which are £200 new
    Harbeth HLP3 if you are very very lucky but they may be a bit polite for your tastes
    i've always had a soft spot for Kef RDM1s which use the Reference uni-q drivers, but in the Q15 style and size cabinet. These go for £150-200 on ebay.
    Or you could strengthen your desk, beg another £200 and buy Ditton's outstanding JM Labs Electra 905s , like I had.

Rory, Mar 30, 2005
  3. PBirkett

penance Arrogant Cock

nice chair :)

penance, Mar 30, 2005
  4. PBirkett

julian2002 Muper Soderator

paul,
    they sound nice, you like them why change them? to be honest you could go for a pair of weenie bookshelfs that are used to 100% of their ability and they would probably sound worse.
    cheers

julian.

julian2002, Mar 30, 2005
  5. PBirkett

Hodgesaargh

I got my AVI Neutron IIIs for less than £300 on ebay.

Hodgesaargh, Mar 30, 2005
  6. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

So I am starting to realise... hifi bookshelves are likely to prefer being on stands rather than a desk, and decent studio type speakers are a lot more expensive than I realised... keeping them is looking like the best option so far TBH...

PBirkett, Mar 30, 2005
  7. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

PBirkett, Mar 30, 2005
  8. PBirkett

Tenson Moderator

Hey Paul,

I think you will defiantly get a better sound for your money with active monitors. Higher up the ladder you may choose to go for a passive system but in this price range you will get more with an active system. IMO and experience of course.

I would snap these up very quickly!! - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=23786&item=7310497438&rd=1&ssPageName=WD2V

Or these which are not really that brilliant but they are good, and for the money they are a bargain. - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=21145&item=7503882631&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Also look for Mackie HR624's.

A favourite of mine are the HHB Circle 5 actives, but they are hard to find. look out for a second hand pair.

Good luck!

Once again.. those Dynaudio BM5a?s are a bargain with free shipping! The bigger brothers BM6 and BM15 are probably the most common near-field (after NS10?s of course) your music is mixed on, especially dance music.

Does that chair achieve warp 9.9??

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2005
    Tenson, Mar 30, 2005
  9. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Hi Tenson, thanks for the link mate, but I'd have sell some gear before I could afford them. Actually the HR624 and the BM5's are the two sets I was looking at if I went that route :)

PBirkett, Mar 31, 2005
  10. PBirkett

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Paul - I *know* you're in Newcastle, but if you decide to sell the Elas, PM me first!

One of mine has a shagged cab (but it IS still acoustically "sound") and both have buggered tweeters; I could get them retweetered, but wouldn't say no to another pair of Daleks in my house :)

domfjbrown, Mar 31, 2005
  11. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Hi Dom,

Will do mate, although its looking likely I will hang on to them, and even so, one of the tweeters is slightly crumpled, and the cabinets are not A1 condition anyway... but I'll let you know :)

PBirkett, Mar 31, 2005
  12. PBirkett

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Aha - but BOTH my tweeters are crumpled and one of my cabs has a BIG ding (in the fluting). Hang onto them dude - they're well worth it!

I'm going to get mine retweetered in the summer I reckon - they're damn fine speakers!

domfjbrown, Mar 31, 2005
Ask a Question