Musical Fidelity A1000 vs Class D

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Antony, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Antony

Antony

Hi All

I'm new to the forum, wanted to cast around for some opinions, as there seem to be some very well informed people on this forum.

Before I ask this question - I know I will need to listen for myself!

I've got a Musical Fidelity A1000 (any idea how much they go for these days? I paid 800 quid for it about 6 years ago.) I'm intrigued by the Lyngdorf SDAi 2175 and was considering demo'ing it. Anyone got experience of both?

To be honest I'd hate to sell the A1000. I love it. When it's warmed up and my mains is clean, late at night (no power conditioning for me yet!) it's got a special something. Although it does lack in certain areas. Might keep it and get the Lyngdorf as well if it floats my boat.

Anyway, I would be very grateful for any thoughts.

Thanks

Antony

Antony, Oct 4, 2005
  2. Antony

Tim F

The class D amps I've heard sound more like class A krells than the warm characteristics that you're talking about. What other kit do you have?

Tim F, Oct 4, 2005
  3. Antony

michaelab desafinado

A1000 is a great amp. They go for about £600-800 these days.

michaelab, Oct 4, 2005
  4. Antony

Antony

Tim. I've got a Gyro/OL RB300/Lyra Evolve 99, MF E624 and Jamo Concert 8s.

Antony, Oct 4, 2005
  5. Antony

andybillet

Hi Anthony.
    The SDAi has just been reviewed in Hi-fi World.
    Also there is a Lyngdorf forum where you may get some useful info. The moderator emailed me the review.
    http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/LyngdorfAudio-UG/

Andy.

andybillet, Oct 4, 2005
  6. Antony

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi Antony.

I really like the Concert 8's they are a great speaker, very underated IMO.

Your turntable front end looks to be excellent too, with a very expensive cart up front.

You dont mention a phono stage. You're not using an inbuilt phono stage in the MF amp are you? - its my humble opinion that MF make pretty poor phono stages, and that kind of vinyl setup deserves a hell of a lot better. It was a revelation when I went from an inbuilt MF phono stage about 6 years ago to a decent outboard one.

If you love the class A sound of the MF A1000, it might be worth trying some valve amps. I suspect that you'll find a digital amp a move away from the warmth that you have experienced, and a valve amp the other direction (generalising here).

I tried my own conrad johnson premier 11a valve power amp with the concert 8's, and really liked the sound. The CJ 11a is 80w p/ch and uses 6550 valves. The concert 8's appreciated the power, and really shone with the valve amp.

A valve amp designer I know uses the concert 8 speakers with a 12w valve amp, so its not essential to have huge power reserves, but it did seem to take the extra power well.

Of course you may prefer a digital amp, but I'd certainly reccomend trying both directions before you jump..

Cheers
    Chris

bottleneck, Oct 4, 2005
  7. Antony

Antony

Thanks Chris

When Michael Fremer said the Lyra was his current favourite cart at the time and I saw one discounted, I had to have it!

I certainly will have a listen to a valve amp. Although, on a related point, I chose a Lehmann Black Cube phono stage over an EAR 834P. Not sure if the 834P is characteristic of all valve amps? Unlikely! A bit like saying all transistor amps sound the same!

As I recall (it was a long time ago..) the separation and soundstaging of the 834P was amazing, but it was a bit sluggish rhythmically with a weak bass. Funnily enough, I didn't realise at the time that Tim de Paravicini designed the A1000.

Certainly agree about the A1000 phono stage! Leaves a lot to be desired.

The E624 (Xray mk1 in a black box) is pretty good but I'm sure that current high end players leave it for dead. I haven't listened to any, but my starting shortlist would be Arcam FMJ 36 and Meridian G08.

Antony

Antony, Oct 5, 2005
  8. Antony

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi Antony,

Im the 834P's biggest fan - so we'll have to agree to disagree on that one!

You're right though, all valve amps are different. For a similar budget to the amp you were thinking of you can get a '6550 amp. The reason Im suggesting this particular tube is it can (sometime) sound a little more solid state than some other valves. It sounds like this type of presentation may be more your cup of tea.

NB - Im thinking especially of -
    World Audio Design 6550 amp (comes as a kit, they make for a fee)
    Icon/Edenlake (this is the 'uk' branding of Meixing amps, which are also available direct from China)

If you were to sell the a1000 and put that money in the kitty too, you could look at brands like audio research (second hand), conrad johnson (second hand). At this price level there is a lot more to choose from.

Cheers
    Chris

bottleneck, Oct 5, 2005
  9. Antony

Bradders

A1000

I ran an A1000 for a few years & sold it on for £750 if I recall.

The phono stage is pretty average as others have noted - coincidentally I used a Ear 834p with it until I moved it on.

Overall it's a cracking amp, MF's best that I have heard.

Bradders, Oct 5, 2005
Ask a Question